Sign in to follow this  
Holger

My mesh looks like a plowed field

Guest Par4me

I'm probably missing something really simple but I'm gooing out of my mind trying to figure this out. All of the mesh I've tried to create either ... 1. Doesn't show up2. Shows up at 12,000 feet looking like a plowed field 3. I finally got it at the right elevation using a BIL file but it still is messed up. I've played with every parameter I can think of and I've read through this almost every thread in this forum I think but I can't figure it out. The best result I've had is with a bil file.....here's the inf file :[source] Type = ElevS16LSB SourceDir = "C:Chautlgbil" SourceFile = "44032734.bil" NullCellValue = -32767 Lat = 42.4737222 Lon = -79.604089 NumOfCellsPerLine = 1740 NumOfLines = 1875 CellXdimensionDeg = 0.0002777777778 CellYdimensionDeg = 0.0002777777778[Destination] LOD = 10 DestDir = "C:ChautScenery" DestBaseFileName = "Area3" UseSourceDimensions = 1I've attached what I get down below.I've done quite a bit of my county(Western NY) with colored Orthos and I would like to enhance the terrain. I know that this just can't be right but I'm at a total loss. I'm using the 2k2 sdk if that makes a difference. It just seems to have fewer steps. I'm sure that it's something stupid that I'm missing. I read in these forums somewhere about the bil's being 16 bits. Am I not converting something? This mesh is next to a pretty large lake but it just seems to be flat around the mesh. I'll deal with that later. I don't think that's causing the problem. If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it.

Guest Par4me

First off thanks for replying Justin... I tried changing my "type" to ElevS16MSB and got no scenery at all. I then added a line "CellType = S16MSB" and got no change. I then tried about every combo of those 2 I could think of. I know that they contradict each other but I was just trying things. Looking from a chase view in the sim, the high points seem to be correct but the valleys are about 1000 feet low. I looked in the TMFviewer and confirmed it. I can see the rows. I have tried both the 2k and the 2k2 resamplers and have gotten the same results. I wish I could give more info but that's all I can think of. If anyone cares to try a little, it's SW New York State. There's a little lake there SE of Lake Erie. I'm trying to do the county that surrounds that little lake more or less.

Guest sgreenwood

If you are downloading compressed BIL data, writing the inf file, and processing it with Resample, there are two possibile sources of error, the inf spec or the BIL data.You haven't told us much about your source data, so this may or may not be relevant. IF you are downloading USGS seamless data in the default (.gz) format, and IF you are using WinZip to extract the data, and IF WinZip is configured to use "TAR File smart CR/LF conversion", this MAY be your problem. :)If that sounds possible, before spending much more time with the inf file, try either downloading the data again in .zip format, unchecking the smart conversion option in WinZip and extracting the data again, or using another archive extraction utility. MicroDem's author recommends never using WinZip. I think that is a bit extreme, but I have had problems with it, sometimes using WinRAR when WinZip was unable to extract a file accurately. GNU has some good freeware utilities for TAR/GZ files.Stevewww.fs-traveler.com

Howdy:I don't see anything wrong with the .inf file either but the only time I've ever seen these regular patterns in my work is in cases I had stated incorrect columns or rows.To find out whether the source data themselves are 'clean' it would be helpful to have a viewing utility. Obviously, Microdem does the job but it's a bit of an overkill for someone not interested in GIS-based mesh design.According to its help files, the nifty 3DEM freeware DEM viewer (http://www.visualizationsoftware.com/3dem.html) can read NED data, even in zipped (tar/gz) format. I tried it with a NED file I still had on my HD but 3DEM refused it as a 'corrupt' DEM. It's not corrupt but it's in BIL format so maybe 3DEM doesn't like those.Have any of you been able to read NED data into 3DEM? It works great with all sorts of data, including SRTM. It does some simple transformations as well, though unfortunately not UTM to lat/long.Anyway, having a simple viewing tool like 3DEM might help with diagnostics in cases like these.Cheers, Holger

Guest Par4me

"I'm probably missing something really simple but I'm gooing out of my mind trying to figure this out. All of the mesh I've tried to create either ..." Ok, I figured it out. I'm feeling really stupid right about now. Almost stupid enough that I don't even want to post what my problem was. But I wanted to thank you guys for taking time to reply and trying to help me. So , first off ...thank you. I had my rows and col's backwards. For the last 2 weeks I've been just copying my inf file and replacing the numbers. The lines and cols are transposed to the header in the bil. To add insult to injury, I tried this last year (around this time) for a couple of weeks and finally gave up. I even quit coloring my ortho's because the default elevations underneath bothered me so bad. When I decided to give it another try, I must have used the same inf file. Well, thanks again, I feel pretty embarassed but I can't explain how happy I am that I got it to work after a year of tinkering.

Hi there:Congratulations on being able to move on!!!I can asure you that all of us here know the feeling, and the associated facial expression of a wide grin with a big red spot on the forehead (in the shape of your hand) :-rollGood luck with draping your orthophoto onto "the land". I'm doing similar stuff right now myself and the results are really neat!Cheers, Holger