Sign in to follow this  
Holger

build on flatten

Guest fiddleman

Howdy All,Is it possible to flatten an area and build a mesh over the top of it?Thanks

Hi Phil:not sure I understand your question - why would you want to flatten an area first before placing another mesh on top? If you have mesh data for an area all you need to do to override the existing mesh is to compile it at a higher LOD or, if you'd like to use the same LOD (in FS9), make sure it sorts lower in alphabetical order.If your thinking of a situation with a large flat area and a smaller mesh on top, then you could write a flatten switch and place it so that the mesh is of a higher priority.Cheers, Holger

Guest fiddleman

Howdy Holger,Thanks for the reply. The Wilkes-Barre international default flatten switch is way off. Rt 81 and the Pa. turnpike running over parts of the mesa which is much bigger that the real airports. I thought that if I flattened the default runway to say 209 meters and then added a 1/3 arc-second terrain mesh from a dem, I could create a more real depiction of KAVP. It was just a thought....Thanks again for the reply

Hi Phil:well, it doesn't make sense to change the elevation of any of the FS default airports with fletten switches as all the structures (RW, buildings, etc) will remain at the default elevation - pretty neat visual effects though ;-)But you could try this: make an add-on mesh for the area surrounding the airport with a vertical offset (the difference in elevation between the airport (293.2m) and the level at the bottom of the plateau). This should raise the surrounding terrain to the level of the airport. However, this might also lead to a nasty cliff along the edges of your add-on mesh so you might have to do some trial and error to find the best extent of that mesh.Cheers, Holger