Sign in to follow this  
Holger

How to get started?

Guest skefford

Hi All,I am interested in at least trying to understand how all this great scenery works in MSFS. I have downloaded various tools, SDKs, tutorials etc., but to be honest, I am a bit overwhelmed by evertying at the moment. I am sure that I will be able to fugure it all out eventually, but is there a quick start, or any other resource, that would get me up and running ASAP?ThanksStevehttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

Howdy:Welcome to the fantabulous world of FS scenery and mesh design ;-)I can definitely relate to "feeling overwhelmed"; after two years of design work there are still posts by our "elders" in these forums that go way over my head. :-abduct I suggest you pick a small project that you're interested in and then try to work through the required steps one by one. Doing so will allow you to ask specific questions, which are much easier to answer for us. Also, previous posts here and in other forums can be of great help, particularly regarding stuff that hasn't been covered in the available MS SDK documents and tools.Good luck!Cheers, HolgerP.S. Lars, ASAP = as soon as possible

Hi Holger!I learned a lot by you, Luis and other patient helpers on this Forum. Now I think I have my working-procedure for redrawing the greek islands. You can download it here: http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/68983.html Your comments are welcome. Thank's for all your help so far..Best RegardsLars

Hello Lars,Nice idea to put it step by step. I am sure that some folks here who have done this for a while will have great advice, but let me offer mine too, as I learned most of it here anyway.You should check each .hgt file for holes in the data and try and patch them. I was using 3dem to patch the holes, but Holger recommended a great filler called SRTMFill. I run it on each .hgt file before I do anything else to it. You could also use Blackart to fill the holes or even merge other GIS data to help fill the holes, but the SRTMFill seems to do an good job for me.For areas around the sea I used the Blackart program to lower the sea state. You can put in your own height data, I just used the default. It helps to flatten the ocean, although anything higher then the default shows as a small bump on the TMFViewer (I use the LWMViewer now though).Lastly, don't try to force your data into higher LOD. I tried it to see what happens, and for me it seemed to be less sharp. Keep to the recommended LODs for your data. The 3 arc second makes very nice LOD9 mesh, you can make LOD10 mesh with it, but why? :)When you are done making your mesh, let us know! I am always looking for nice freeware mesh to enhance the world.Dwayne