Sign in to follow this  
Guest GCBarni

Mr. Rob Gainer - Everyone Please Read

Guest jimkeir

Hi.FYI, the problem wasn't so much with the data - it was standard SRTM data and subject to the same type of flaws as other SRTM-based packages. It was with where the data *wasn't*. He tended to have vast (and I mean continental) areas with no data at all, reducing them to sealevel. He probably checked the bits he knew he'd changed but didn't check outside the boundaries.I think most of the areas he covered have since been done by others - check the library here.Cheers,Jim.

Jim,I will certainly be doing that you can count on it. It wasn't until I found avsim.com that my flightsimming enthusiasm took off (no pun there...)AVSIM is such a FANTASTIC addition to the flightsim community. And I am grateful that it is FREE !!!! My appreciation goes out to all who are involved and make AVSIM the great resource and community that it is.Shawn McCoyP3/1GHz, 512mb, Radeon 9200, WinXP Pro, FS2k4

I must've missed the flap, but no need to rehash. I wonder though as a bystander...is this guy a kid?Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Guest jimkeir

Hi.Retired Lawyer, apparently.JK

Guest GCBarni

I was not aware of this situation and after coming upon one of the replies which gave Rob's address, I just paid a visit. I checked a couple of the Forum topics, and apparently, he was involved in a head-on collision in Toronto yesterday or day before and is in hospital expected to recover. Two others involved were not as fortunate.As to the claims that he was quite against his freeware being sold or otherwise being profited from, I find it quite strange that FSPlanet is currently acknowledged as one of the few sites where he(Rob) sanctions the hosting of his material!! This is according to the links on his current website http://www.gainer.webhop.net/