Sign in to follow this  
Guest roto5

Terrain SDK License Agreement: a request to Microsoft

Guest roto4

Hello,I am going to release a freeware utility for terrain mesh creation/editing. My application is a mini GIS tool and it acts as a RESAMPLE.EXE front-end as well. I would like to distribute RESAMPLE.EXE along my application, for user convenience.Unfortunately, there is a problem in FS2004 terrain SDK EULA that prevents developers (at least those that respect EULAs) from distributing RESAMPLE.EXE along their applications.In the End-user License Agreement (EULA.RTF file) that is included along Terrain SDK, the "Grant of License" item - "Redistributable Code" paragraph states:"You may reproduce and distribute portions of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT designated as Redistributable Code identified as the BGLC.EXE, BGLPLACER.EXE, BGLCOMP.EXE, and TRAFFICINFO.DLL files and other files which may be identified in the text file LICENSEREDIST.TXT. You may redistribute the Redistributable Code with your Applications provided that you comply with the Distribution Terms described below."The problem is that there is no mention to RESAMPLE.EXE and the other tools included in FS2004 Terrain SDK. Probably someone forgot to update the EULA for the Terrain SDK.Note: there is no "REDIST.TXT" as well.I would like Microsoft to update the EULA to include RESAMPLE.EXE (and the other tools, if possible) as "Redistributable Code".Thanks in advance.Emerson de Oliveira

Why not release your tool and in the help (readme.txt) tell the user to download the terrain_sdk. MS isn't going to amend the EULA and even if they thought about it, it would take months to get it past their legal.Chances are the user will already have the terrain_sdk.One of the reasons for the seemingly late delivery of the SDKs, is the legal review by the MS lawyers.W. Sieffert

Guest roto4

>Why not release your tool and in the help (readme.txt) tell>the user to download the terrain_sdk.Hi Sieffert,The installer package is almost ready to be released without Resample, and I won't wait for the updated EULA in order to release the 1.0 version of my program. There is already a note on the program help about where to get Resample.Anyway, I believe that MS could update the EULA in benefit of FS community.[]sEmerson de Oliveira

Hi Emerson.Your freeware product would be exempt from EULA, as it is free, and it is not used for any application other than one of the flight simulators. You have to read the intent of the EULA.If you were using resample for the purpose of adding content to X-Plane, for example, then MS would have a problem with your usage and redistribution of resample.Or, were you charging money for resample, then MS might have an objection for this redistribution.As W. Sieffert has explained, you could use a link to the web location of the SDK, and have the enduser obtain the version of resample for himself. But, your inclusion of resample is justified, especially if your program will only work with a particular version of resample. In that instance, you are insuring the functionality of resample in conjuction with your freeware. That would be the best possible reason for inclusion of resample with your software, as it is actually supporting Microsoft's reliability of their product as it is intended.In short, I would just include it in the package, and let MS sort it out if they have a problem. And you could provide a web link to the SDK, so endusers and Microsoft can verify it's origin.I also believe it will be a chilly day in Hades before MS ever updates that Eula.Dick

Howdy,"I also believe it will be a chilly day in Hades before MS ever updates that Eula"- great statement, Rhumba! Is there an EULA for that quote? ;-)Emerson, I have a request regarding your tool: well, first off, thank you for making and sharing a new utility in the first place - much appreciated! My request regards the instructions and information distributed with the utility. Matthew's popular SRTM2BGL has the severe (though surely unintended) shortcoming that it doesn't provide any information regarding the quality issues of SRTM source data, particularly void areas. The sparse documentation doesn't even mention that the user needs to choose a complete and rectangular area of tiles (in most situations) to avoid flattening of other areas, etc. I don't know anything about the features and intended "customer base" of your utility, I just would like to avoid the release of another round of well-intentioned but flawed add-on mesh files. If it helps, I'd be happy to read through a draft of your instructions prior to release (and I hope none of the above sounds too condescending!)Cheers, Holger

Guest roto5

Hi Holger,(One note: I had to re-register to roto5 because my login has expired (?) or something: "cookie problem")I understand your concern.I have seen a lot of FS scenery with many terrain mesh related issues. I think one of the main reasons is because the designer is not aware of the imperfections of SRTM data, or because they don't know how BGLs files interact in FS, or just because they are using buggy tools.I think that you will like to know that the correction of SRTM data is the main objective of my program.I have been using my utility since last year to build my personal terrain meshes. Now that the on-line help is ready (or almost ready), I will make it available to the community soon.The main reason to make the program was because I needed a tool to correct imperfections of SRTM data, in a "visual" way, like an image editor, but not limited to a single quadrant (like FSTerrain), and not so "difficult" as MicroDEM. The secondary reasons were:- I needed a tool to create large BGL areas with the minimum effort.- I needed a better interpolation method than the one of SRTM_TO_BGL.- I needed to view the whole area (several quadrants) as a single (scrollable) mosaic.- I needed a Resample GUI based front-end.So the program evolved to the current 1.0 public version which has the following features:- Can read SRTM-1 and SRTM-3 HGT file types. - Automatic extraction of HGT files from ZIP files (as distributed by USGS), saving disk space. - Can read binary raster files. Useful to import DEM data from 3rd party GIS applications. - Easy-to-build mosaic: just select the HGT source folder and the coordinates of the bounding rectangle, and the program will join the appropriate HGT files into a single working mesh, fully editable. - Ability to load adjoining quadrants for better interpolation results. - Graphical editing of elevation data: selective area filling, offseting, clipping, etc. - Interpolation capability for missing data (voids) - parametric Inverse Distance Weighted Average Interpolation. - Edit-enabled zoom modes. - Multi-level "undo" capability. - Ability to add extra bands to the output BGL (useful to avoid gaps and glitches caused by adjoining BGLs). - Creates BGL files with a single click. No need to manually create an INF file. No need to use Microsoft Resample directly. - Ability to export the terrain mesh to a binary raster file for further editing in 3rd party GIS tools. - Ability to save the terrain mesh to a BMP picture for reference.Holger, if you want to be my beta tester I can send you the program right now!The installer has 428 KB.A Windows HTML help is included.The 1.0 version is open for additions!Best regards,Emersonfsdem@zipmail.com.br

Guest roto5

>>But, your inclusion of resample is justified, especially if>your program will only work with a particular version of>resample. In that instance, you are insuring the functionality>of resample in conjuction with your freeware. That would be>the best possible reason for inclusion of resample with your>software, as it is actually supporting Microsoft's reliability>of their product as it is intended.The inclusion of Resample would be for user convenience.The application works with Resample version 1.0.0.2 (FS2002 SDK) and version 1.0.0.4 (FS2004 SDK).Regards,Emerson

Guest luissa

Hello Emerson,The list of features of your programme is very impressive. It sounds that it will be one more very useful tool. Thanks in advance.Regarding the issue of adding resample to your tool, I must confess that my face became red when I read your first post. I also have a programme packed with resample! My programme needs SCASM and FSConnect and for these I included links. But, in the case of the MS resampler, it is very confusing for users to pick up the exact version. I myself renamed that programme as resample0, resample1 and now resample2. So my first reaction was to repack my programme without resample. But I will think on it more carefully before I do that.Finally, and regarding the help documentation for your tool, the more the better. But, even with litle help, it will be most welcomed. Regards, Luisps: do you speak Portuguese?

Guest roto5

Hi Luis,The program help is a Windows-style HTML help (CHM file), with the usual tree-structure.It does explain (I hope) all the program features, but it