Sign in to follow this  
Guest pecrowther

Need help to make rectangular shape holes in an airport...

Guest Jouvarn

Hi all!Im new hereNew to everythingI juz need to know how to make a "2.5m depth rectangular shape holes" on an airport..I tried using MicroDem..downloaded the dem file location i need but it cant be opened by MicroDem :(any suggestion? or advice?

Guest sgreenwood

Creating new mesh is probably not the answer. Can you be more specific about the intended use of the "holes", and whether or not they need to fall within the perimeter of the airport scenery?Steve

Guest Jouvarn

yepthey will fall on those holes .it suppose to be a drainage and tunnel for trains .im not gonna make a hole below the taxiway . im juz gonnamake a hole beside it and then use gmax to make the rail sloping in those holes.got the idea?

Guest pecrowther

You can use DrawPoly3 to modify the terrain. The horizontal resolution of the mesh will not be that great. But you can fill in and improve the resolution using your gmax structure.Phil

Guest pecrowther

Er, I meant LWMPoly3/LWMPoint3 not DrawPoly3.Phil

Guest Jouvarn

Thanks!but whre to get it?and is it compatable with fs9?

Guest Jouvarn

Okie..unfortunately ive read the LMWpoly3 stuffs for hours..and i tried whatever way , just to sink some certain rectangular area of the airport land , somehow it doesnt work.can anyone teach me how to use this LMWpoly3??thse are the two location i want to sink (don't bother about how the texture result is gonna be.. coz i will be covering it with gmax)http://www.geocities.co.jp/HeartLand-Namiki/9845/idea2.JPG

Guest pecrowther

Below is a LWYPoly3 program that I have used to raise/flatten areas (suggestions for improvement appreciated). However, I have to warn you that this is not going to be an easy task. You are going to have to learn a lot about the fsim3d coordinate system to use LWMPoly3. You need to find the CellID for the area where your airport is located (694_213 in the example below). The you have to locate the specific grid (21_4 in the example below). Then you will have to locate the points within that grid that are closest to the area you are working on (85_00 is the first point below).One you succeed, you will find that the horizontal resolution is not that great. Based on the map above, it appears that you are trying to hit a pretty small area. However, you will probably end up digging a lot bigger hole than the area you are looking at- particularly since the runway is not running north/south or east/west. (And the sides will be angled, not straight up and down.)You can then make a big gmax object to fill in the hole and which contains the necessary detail for your tunnel.The good news is that, as I recall, the AFCAD2 runways will run over gaps and you will not sink in. If not, there is also a "harden" command in gmax that might fix this problem.This is going to be a lot of work/learning for a fairly small improvement - time that could be better spent on other airport enhancements. But, if you are in this for the long haul, you might as well give it a try.PhilSAMPLE CODEinclude TDFMacros.incinclude TDFHeaders.incBGLHeader 17, 13, 148, 144, LWMHeader, TerrainHeaderStartLWMHeader label wordLWMFileHeader 300h, LWMIndexStart, LWMStart, LWMEndLWMStart label worddatamark_0 label word ;LWMPoly3 Macro PointCount, Reserved, Attrib, HeightBottom, FractionBottom, HeightTop, FractionTop;LWMPoint3 Macro x, y, z 0-255 fraction of difference between HeightBottom and HeightTop of LWMPoly3LWMDataAreaDrawPolygons 1, 3, 1, 21, 4; 21_4 = GRIDLWMPoly3 4, 0, 1, 001, 255, 002, 000LWMPoint3 085, 000, 000 ; 85_00 = POINT WITHIN GRIDLWMPoint3 095, 000, 000LWMPoint3 095, 254, 255LWMPoint3 085, 254, 255 datamark_1 label word Cellv_694_213 EQU LWMCellID 0, 0, 3, 694, 213; 694_213 = CELL IDLWMIndexStart label wordLWMIndexHeader 1, LWMIndexDataLWMIndexData label wordLWMIndexEntry Cellv_694_213, LWMStart, datamark_0, datamark_1 LWMEnd label word ; End of LWM file

Guest Jouvarn

Okie.. i juz printed a LWM tutorial.and also i have a FSTflatten.it seems to workI know what ya mean by the sinking area will be larger than expected .unfortunately this FSTflatten has a maximum LOD of 15 .. is there any chance of increasing it somemore?

Guest pecrowther

I think the LOD maxes out at 12 to 13. You can increase the resolution by increasing terrain_max_vertex_level TMVL (in fs9.ini) from 19 to 20.However, one of the dangers of trying to increase the resolution is that your scenery will not look right if someone wants to use it at a different LOD or TMVL.I your case, I think you can just create a big enough gmax structure to fill the "worst case" scenario (i.e the biggest gap) and then "sink" it into the ground, just below ground level.Phil

Guest pecrowther

Correction! The max LOD appears to be 9 to 10 (a horizontal distance of around 76.4m to 38.2m). See the other discussions in this forum for more information on this issue.Phil