Sign in to follow this  
Guest tpnavas

Mesh Files & BGL

Hi to Canary IslandsYou can use FSDEM 1.0, available on AVSIM. If you already have your HGT files, specify a boundary rectangle by longitudes and latitudes, and it will build you one BGL for all that area.CheersAlain

Guest sgreenwood

I don't believe there is any way to combine bgl files. Nor is there any technical need to do so. The fact that you have so many files for a small group of islands prompts me to offer a few suggestions based on my own experience in similar situations. (They may or may not apply in your specific case.)1) Use informative names. - include information that helps identify the files as all belonging to the same group.This becomes useful if they are installed in a folder with other mesh files. Example: canary001.bgl, canary002.bgl, ... - include information that helps identify the location of the mesh. Example: canary_gomera.bgl, or canary_N28W018.bgl - include information that describes the resolution of the mesh. Example: canary_90m09_001.bgl or 90m09-canary_001.bgl identify the mesh as having been constructed from 90m (or 3 arcsec) source data, with a final resolution of 76.4m (LOD 09).This information helps when placing the mesh in the appropriate layer in the Scenery Library.2) While there is no technical reason to avoid many small bgl files, coastlines (and small islands are mostly coastlines) can present problems if they fall close to the edge of the source data. Resample frequently omits data on the edges of the source data, and this can include your coastlines. I've seen mesh for the Hawaiian Islands that had sections of coastline trimmed off. One set of mesh for Alaska omits almost the entire northern coast! - Check all your mesh with TmfViewer to insure your coastlines are complete. You can view up to 10 at a time; load adjacent bgl files to confirm that there are no gaps between the bgl files. - You can minimize this problem by combining multiple source data files in a single bgl, either using other software to merge the data before running resample, or during the resample conversion itself. You may still have issues along the edges, but there will be fewer of them. Dealing with these may require adding a bit of additional data far enough offshore to insure resample has enough data so it does not have to trim the coastlines to fill the LOD quadrants. (I keep a small block of 0m elevation data handy for this purpose, and just change the coordinates before merging it into a particular situation.)Hope this helps.Stevewww.fs-traveler.com

Guest tpnavas

Ok, then my Canary Islands mesh will have a lot of BGL

Hi Antonio,very much looking forward to that mesh/scenery project!There's a freeware Canary Islands mesh available here in the library but it doesn't show the Caldera del Taburiente on La Palma correctly because the SRTM data has a big void area there and SRTM2BGL, the utility the designer used, simply filled in the most of the caldera. Let's see what your La Palma looks like!?! ;-)Cheers, HolgerP.S.: What does the 1-m value refer to? LOD9 mesh is 76-m resolution and photoscenery resolution is 4.8m maximum!

Guest tpnavas

WellAs I said before, I

Guest luissa

Hello,In addition to what has been said about the non need to combine all mesh in a single big BGL:1) a big file will mean that FS will probably use more memory than necessary; 2) if the file is big, it can even lead FS to crash (that happend to me when I packed a LOD10 mesh on a 5X (fifty) MB BGL.Regards, Luis