Sign in to follow this  
Guest steve p

Slartibartfast and Coastlines

Guest steve p

Hi all,I downloaded Slartibarstfast from the link provided elsewhere in this forum earlier this week and have been using it to create a mesh of a small part of Scotland.Creating a mesh from 2 SRTM files was pretty straightforward but when I have tried to add a coastline the program does not create the necessary .bgl files. If I have read the manual correctly, when I have told Slart to create a coastline it will create two file with names such as VV_Arran_vtp.bgl and LL_Arran_lwm.bgl. The files that are created from my .inf file have a .bgs extension instead. I also get a "too many perameters message in the prompt box when I have run the .bat file. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?Here is a copy of my .inf file:[Destination] DestDir = ".Scenery" DestBaseFileName = "Arran" UseSourceDimensions = 1 LOD = Auto[LWM] SRTM = 1 Coastline = 1 LWMVersion = 3 LWMMerge = 1 BeachWidth = 30[source] Type = Multisource NumberOfSources = 2[source1] Type = ElevS16MSB SourceDir = ".Source" SourceFile = "N55W005.hgt" Lat = 56.0 Lon = -5.0 NumOfCellsPerLine = 1201 NumOfLines = 1201 CellXDimensionDeg = 0.0008333334 CellYDimensionDeg = 0.0008333334 ScaleInMeters = 1.000000000[source2] Type = ElevS16MSB SourceDir = ".Source" SourceFile = "N55W006.hgt" Lat = 56.0 Lon = -6.0 NumOfCellsPerLine = 1201 NumOfLines = 1201 CellXDimensionDeg = 0.0008333334 CellYDimensionDeg = 0.0008333334 ScaleInMeters = 1.000000000Best wishesSteve P

Hi Steve,Is the "too many parameters" line the only error message you receive? I get that too but it doesn't have any negative side effects.More likely, the creation of the raw LWM/VTP code, which are the .bgs files, went wrong somewhere, i.e., a problem with your project .inf or watermask. How big are the .bgs file, can you attach one of them here zipped or copy&paste the first 20 lines or so?Cheers, Holger

Guest steve p

Hi Holger,Here is one of the .bgs files. I thought that the problem may stem from the fact that the mesh that I am working on has a large and complex coastline. When I tried to create another test mesh with very little coastline exactly the same thing happened, ie. .bgs files instead of .bgl files.My operating systen is Windows 98SE.Best wishesSteve P

Guest steve p

Oops, the zip did not upload for some reason. The file size is 723KB. Here are the first 20 or so lines:include TDFMacros.incinclude TDFHeaders.inc_Water_ EQU 0_Land_ EQU 1_Flatten_ EQU 2_Transparent_ EQU 3_WaterLevel_ EQU 0BGLHeader 57, 54, -3, -6, LWMHeader, TerrainHeaderStartLWMHeader label word LWMFileHeader 768, LWMIndexStart, LWMStart, LWMEnd; Start of cell dataLWMStart label word Cell_371x96 EQU LWMCellID 1, 0, _CellType_371x96_, 371, 96datamark_371x96_S label word LWMDataAreaDrawPolygons 1,_Transparent_,1,6,22 LWMPoly3 4,0,_Water_,0,0,0,0 LWMPoint3 247, 245, 0 ; 0.00 LWMPoint3 255, 245, 0 ; 0.00 LWMPoint3 255, 255, 0 ; 0.00 LWMPoint3 247, 255, 0 ; 0.00 LWMDataAreaDrawPolygons 1,_Transparent_,1,7,22 LWMPoly3 9,0,_Water_,0,0,0,0 LWMPoint3 0, 186, 0 ; 0.00 LWMPoint3 37, 188, 0 ; 0.00 LWMPoint3 38, 196, 0 ; 0.00 LWMPoint3 37, 220, 0 ; 0.00 LWMPoint3 34, 226, 0 ; 0.00 LWMPoint3 26, 250, 0 ; 0.00 LWMPoint3 25, 255, 0 ; 0.00 LWMPoint3 0, 255, 0 ; 0.00 LWMPoint3 0, 186, 0 ; 0.00Best wishesSteve p

Hi Steve,hmmm, looks like valid code to me. If Slarti runs out of memory it may not complete the .bgs file but in that case you'd get an error message during the initial run.I wonder whether there might be a problem with the placement of your compiler tools? Have you tried running the bat file in a DOS window to see the complete record of (error) messages?Some of my bgs files are 6MB+, so intricate coastlines shouldn't be an issue.If nothing works, try attaching the bgs file again. If you zip it up and it's less than 125kb you can attach it; just make sure you select "zip file" in the Avsim attachments upload window.Cheers, Holger

Guest steve p

Hi Holger,When I run the bat file in a dos window the only error message that I get is the too many parameters message.I tried compiling the enclosed .bgs file with bglcomp in a new folder with the TDF Macros and the TDF headers files and nothing else. This produced a number of errors in the dos window. The sequence was:Internal Compiler Error C1003: Failed to create MSXML Object <0x80040154>Parsing document: LL_Arran_lwm.bgsERROR C2470: Unrecoverable error parsing XML!ERROR C2006: Parse failed <80004005>ERROR C2003: Failed to process file: LL_Arran_lwm.bgsI am aware that there can be problems when compiling with bglcomp if other bgl files are in the same folder. When compiling, only the files needed to compile the bgl are in the working folder.This seems to be a problem only with shorelines. Slarti is quite happy compiling any of the other bgl files that I ask it to process, eg. PatchAPT and PatchLWM.Best wishesSteve P

Hi Steve,attached is the compiled bgl and my version of the .bat for it - nice shorelines ;-) I don't really know what could be the issue here but it's got to be somewhere in the setup of your compiler tools and directory structure.Cheers, Holger

Hi Steve.You must compile with BGLC... not BGLComp. BGLComp is for XML compilation, not for LWM or VTP.TDFHeaders.inc, and TDFMacros.inc, and BGLC must all be in the same folder.Dick

Guest steve p

Hi Holger,Thanks for the help and the new bat and bgl files. Slarti certasinly delivers the goods when treated well ;o). I am sure that you are right about where the problem lies. I'll keep on working at it but I'm going to have a couple of days off before I resume tearing my hair out over the problem ;o)Thanks again for the help.Best wishesSteve P

Guest steve p

Hi Dick,You have solved the problem. At some point my BGLC became BGLComp. Just dumped the guilty BGLComp and have compiled a LWM .bgl. Phewww!Many thanks for the help.Best wishesSteve P