Sign in to follow this  
Guest luissa

Increased Resolution with the FS9 Patch

Guest pecrowther

The FS9 Patch indicates that it now allows for higher resolution terrain. What is the highest resolution you can get and what settings do you use to get that?In the game settings, I have set the:terrain mesh complexity = 100 (the max)terrain texture size = high (is that the most detail?)In fs9.cfg, I have set:TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=21I have checked out both the regular scenery and scenery compiled with a LOD=13. In both cases, the results seem worse, not better.Any thoughts?Thanks,Phil

Guest luissa

Hello Phil,TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=21 worked for me before, but not now. This setting allowed me to define flattens in a more precise way.Please see the 2 pictures that are in this thread:http://www.ptsim.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30The artifact is due to a flatten polygon. The flatten polygon is covered by grass and should not be visible. The problem is that the vertex of the flatten polygon are forced to the LOD grid resolution. The fact is that after the patch, and even if I increase TMVL to 23, I see lots of artifacts like the ones in the picture.May be someone could clarify this,Regards, Luis

Guest pecrowther

Luis,That's too bad. I've gone back to TMVL=20 on my Tinian scenery. At least it's no worse than it was. But, apparently, whatever MS thought they were doing to make things better, only made them worse.Phil

Guest pecrowther

Luis,Maybe there is some special setting we are missing? I assembled my mesh from a 10m DEM. But anything above TMVL=20 is worse. This is true regardless of whether I use the LOD 11, 12 or 13 version.Phil

Guest luissa

Hi Phil,Precisely 2 months ago I was very ceptical about FS9.1 supporting 19 meter mesh resolution (LOD11). Today I have no doubt. If you download this GIF you will see a switching from LOD10 to LOD11 and vice versa. It is the same starting situation and the only thing that changed is that LOD11 BGLs were not present in one of the shots. The mesh was prepared from DTED2 data (arc spacing = 1 second or 30 meters).http://www.ptsim.com/downloads/lod_10_11.gifThe local is Cabo de S

Hi Luis,nice visual presentation of the effect - thanks for sharing. Were both images taken with the same TMVL setting?Cheers, Holger

Guest luissa

>Were both images taken with the same TMVL setting?Hi Holger,In both cases TMVL=21. I took one picture, saved the situation, closed FS, deactivate LOD_11.BGL, started FS again and took the 2nd picture.Regards, Luis