Sign in to follow this  
Guest sgreenwood

Land Class request

I fly mostly around New England, especially now that I have some halfway decent meshes installed. I would be really interested in seeing a landclass for the New England states, including the New York, Philadelphia, Washington DC corridor. Does anyone know of any existing landclass files for this area? If not maybe one of you LC gurus could whip one up for us Yankees? Thnks.Hornit

well there is always the payware FSLandClass scenery.. I have the 2 northern east coast packs that are pretty acurate.. it does put the towns in about the right places around VT and NH... I can navigate pretty much IFR/R (I follow roads/rails)with it installed.Brian

Hi Brian, Don't know if you remember me....Hawthorne??? :) Im doing my own scenery's with airport 2.6 now. Im really getting the hang of it too. Im starting a project for many small new england airports soon. I found some great resources you might be interested in. The CAP has some great photos of lots of NE airports big and small. Im curious if there is a way to get at my bgl files to edit some of my sceneries? I did not save the files in airport itself after upgrading, now I want to fix some things....like gerrish grey's trees!! Is this possible or should I start from scratch?? Just thought you would know. Im also curious what mesh you are using, I have been using the stuff thats available over at simviation....seems to work pretty well.Hornit

Try mattn at the scenery design forum...."mattn Member since Mar-7-025 posts, Rate this user Apr-02-02, 09:22 PM (EDT) "Landclass success! A few questions though ..." After messing with this all weekend long, I am happy to say that I finally got a landclass working for my area (Southern NewEngland), and have experimented with a few different city textures etc and have gotten decent results."

there are some utilities that can convert a bgl file to scasam and then import the scasam file into airport but I've not had alot of sucsess doing that. as for what mesh I'm using I am running Justin Tyme's freeware White Mtn, Green Mtn and adirondak mesh available at FSGenesis.com.Brian

Yea, I had done a southern New England landclass whichcovered CT, RI, and some of Long Island. However, I couldnever get the borders to line up right, and I'm sure it wasin the measurements I used for the LOD5 area.Also, it needed MUCH work to the land-use mappings as I wasn'ttoo sure what types were appropriate for the most real lookingexperience. At this point I just need to start over. Getting the datafrom USGS is a bit painstaking, especially when having tocut the area up into smaller chunks (anything over a certainsize can only be ordered on cd) then putting it all backtogether again for the RAW file. I just dont have the timein my "real life" at the moment to try again. I may give it a go again soon, now that there have been somegreat discoveries in the LC/custom texture methods which might make things easier to do a smaller-than-LOD5 area. If I can ever come up with something with good quality, I'llbe sure to upload it to the major FS sites. mattn

Guest sgreenwood

Hello Mattn,I assume you are using the NED landclass data. I downloaded the DEM data for the entire US, an enormous task! I used this keyboard macro program to improve effeciency and accuracy. It is freeware and highly recommended. http://www.freewarehits.de/RemoteKeys.htmMy approach was to divide one-degree areas (slightly larger, for overlap) into 6 blocks: A,B,C on the bottom, and D,E,F on top. This made filling in the forms much easier, just clicking on the six buttons I defined.Setup requires: