Sign in to follow this  
Guest dennisvogelius

What kind of Data and where to find

Guest dennisvogelius

Hello all of you.I am very new to scenery design, but would really like to enhance the areas that I live wich are Denmark and Lithuania.The enhancements that I would like to do are:Better coastlines.Better landclass.Roads and railroads.I have been searching all around to find out of what kind of data that I will need for doing so, but with no luck. I therefore hope that there will be some of you guysgals that can help me with this issue.Greetings from a Dane living in LithuaniaDennis Vogelius

Guest jimkeir

Hi, Dennis.At the risk of sounding like an RTFM, check out the 'beginners guide' at the top of the Scenery Design forum. That covers mesh too.Basically you'll need some elevation data, usually SRTM for places outside the US of A. For coastlines and landclass you can hand-create them with something like SBuilder or G2K4 based on photos or satellite imagery (try LandSat). Same for roads. My program "Slartibartfast" will do this for you, but it might be a little complex to start with if you've never done scenery design before.Good luck!Jim Keir

Guest dennisvogelius

Hello their Jim.You are right about starting with the "Beginners guide". That I should have done. :)I allready have looked at G2k4, and it seems like a fairly simpel program. Regarding SBuilder I have not been looking at that one though.I am going to take a look at your program. I know that you say that it is a little complex to start with, but as a system technician I am not afraid of a challenge :) , and the more automated the process is the better for me due to limited time.I did not find Landsat under my previous search, but I will take a close look on this one.Thanks a lot for you time and help, but dont expect that I will not come back with more newbie questions to you. +:I think that if we all do a little of work on our beloved Flight Simulator, then I am sure that we will get one h... of a sim.By the way. Dont you guys think that it is abour time that MS will change the game engine so it will be up to date with the HW that we have now. Specially with the grafic cards ;-: PLEASE DONT FLAME ME WITH THIS QUESTIONDennis VogeliusDennis Vogelius