Sign in to follow this  
tstiegler

BGL2HGT

Guest RipPipPip

Hi Guys!I know that I am not the only one wanting to know the answer for a question: is there anywhere an utility that is / would be called BGL2HGT?The problem is simple: I would like to convert a mesh BGL to HGT (SRTM) file. Why? Because there is a lot of fine geospatial utilities who allow for example to visualise (in 3D), what sits inside HGT files. There is no such tool (as far as I know) to do it with MS BGL's (not counting FS here :))).And no no no no no - it is not about copyright violation, just would like to visually check for errors in my created meshes using above 3D tools, which would be a whole lot faster and easier then flying and spotting anomalies in FS...(you have to pilot then, no time to watch :)))Thanks! Rysiek

Hy Rysiek,I assume you know about TMFviewer? It doesn't give you 3D but includes a shading algorithm, which helps with finding problem areas.Better yet, Jim's LWMViewer has a much better color gradation and you can even change the color scale. Sorry, those are the only two mesh viz tools I know about.Cheers, Holger

Guest RipPipPip

Yes Holger, I know the two programs above...although I still need a conversion tool from BGL to any more universal DEM format...Or...maybe someone will gift us a new version or a program with a 3D BGL viewer built in, whoo, hoo, hoo, hoo! :)))Cheers,

Hi Rysiek,I was out of town for a couple of days, so I had just now the chance to think about the email you sent. No, I don't have a solution yet and I'm still searching. I need the data extraction algorithm for a private project (at the moment) and I would never release anything to the public without permission of all the people were involved in. So I'm a bit sad that there are fellows in the community who are not willing to share their knowledge. Maybe I put in the efforts to invent the wheel a second time, but I'm not sure at the moment.Regards, Tom.

Guest RipPipPip

"So I'm a bit sad that there are fellows in the community who are not willing to share their knowledge."I would will but I do not have this knowledge either :)Just FYI: I just sent an e-mail to a nice 3DEM visualization program Author asking if it would be possible to make it (the program) import MS BGL files (it knows SRTM HGT now and some others DEM's too) ...Cheers, Rysiek

Hi Tom,"So I'm a bit sad that there are fellows in the community who are not willing to share their knowledge."Disappointment is one thing, accusing others of not willing to share what is essentially "classified" knowledge is not fair. The fact is, if you renege on your pledge, that person can be held liable for violating the FS EULA or aiding a copyright violation of third-party mesh files, plain and simple. It's a private matter between you and that person whether the necessary trust can be established and a post like this is not a good way to work on that process, IMO.Cheers, Holger

Guest RipPipPip

Hi to all you guys!And that is why it is better to live with UE legal stuff then with USA' one...It is a man who shots, not a gun!Using copyrighted material is no good, using freeware material IS right, when an author say so. Technology SHOULD be available to everybody, it is kind of human right, isn't it?I think that mesh BGL structure know-how will be available to public, sooner or later, because...why not?Cheers, Rysiek

Hi Holger,sorry for that late reply but I was out of the town during the last weeks.First of all -- I don't want to accuse anybody. Yes, I am disappointed because my work came to a stop at a point I didn't expect. Sorry, if my words offended somebody. I'm in the software development business for many years, I know all the problems in general and I will respect the work of anybody. Regards, Tom.