Sign in to follow this  
catflyer

Default Mesh

Guest Squidolin

Hello...I have read many a thread here and at other forums, and I cannot figure out how to get a new mesh I have made for FS9 to replace the default in FS9. Regardless of what I do, or the steps I have followed that other folks have so kindy offered to others.It is a simple little project of me trying to put my home town in FS9 as accurately as possible, starting from the ground up, literally :)I have tried almost every mesh editor I have come across, from srtm2bgl to TerraBuilder Lite to FSDEM. I have used EXCBuilder and Ground2k4, and I just don't get it... (more than likely I am doing something wrong is the case)I'll admit I am fairly new to this, but anything I have done in FS2002 worked fairly well. The default mesh was replaced by the seemingly accurate srtm's I have aquired from the internet for my area.Any insight in to this is greatly appreciated..Maybe a fresh set of eyes will see what mine are missing :)Chris

Guest sgreenwood

Hi Chris,There are three common reasons why "mesh" does not show up in the sim.1) No mesh was actually created. You can confirm that mesh was created by viewing the bgl file using tmfviewer. Are the elevations realistic?2) Mesh was created, but is placed incorrectly in the sim. Incorrect coordinates in the inf file will cause this. While in tmfviewer, confirm that the mesh is in the correct hemisphere.3) Good mesh, positioned correctly, may not show up because of the sim's rules for establishing mesh precedence. See my discussion for more information on this topic. You may find my text file listing the default mesh resolutions helpful as well.http://www.fs-traveler.com/priority.shtmlWe may need more information about your development process to resolve the issue, but these checks are a good place to start.Steve

Guest Squidolin

Hi Steve..First, thanks for the quick response :)I tried what you suggested, using TMFViewer, and all panned out there.I did create a new Scenery Folder and called it Mesh, and placed my BGL in it's Scenery folder, then added the scenery and changed the priority to the lowest possible, re: your mesh precedence discussion. (It wouldn't let me set the priority lower than "Default Terrain" though).Anyway, I went back to FS9, to my "spot". Seeing the "default" mesh was a little discouraging, but then I thought maybe I'll change the time of day to get better shadow casts. My terrain isn't all that detailed to begin with. There are no big hills or anything, but, there is a river valley. Having changed the time, I noticed that maybe my terrain was in fact there, but also the, what looked like terrain, along the default river was still there. Could it be possible to have 2 meshes simultaniously present?I think I had better go do some more experimenting and learning. Learning being the key, as I don't fully comprehend the LOD system. Plus I am not sure of the accuracy of my srtm file (3arcsec is all I know about it, what that means is a mystery hehehe)I appreciate the help, and will continue to monitor the forums for more help. Plus I will keep you posted as to my progress, if you don't mind :)Chris

Guest Squidolin

Hi SteveI snooped around the terrain.cfg file in FS9 and noticed that the rivers had an offset=-10, so, for a lark, I set that to 0. When I went back in to the game, the "terrain" on either side of the river was gone. My terrain mesh was in fact present, although not very dramatic, it was still there :)Now I just have to find a way to "enhance" it a tad.Once again, thank you for your input, it actually lead me to the terrain.cfg file for some reason, I don't know how, or why I thought to look there, but it helped.Although, now that I have changed that offset value, I'm afraid there might be a few rivers flowing up hill in a few spots heheheChris

Another way to get rid of stream depresions is to decompile the original "ST??????.bgl" and remove the code.It is thou more of a roler-coaster than a learning curve ;-)But keep backups and you'll be find.Put the new compiled files in your folder and move the default to a storage folder somewhere./Bqt