Sign in to follow this  

Joystick Button Assignment

Has anyone been able to assign a joystick button to an ATC selection?I have buttons assigned to "Select 1", "Select 2", etc. When my ATC window is open, I want to press a button to make ATC selections, like replying to commands and selecting airports. It works fine from the keyboard number keys, but will not work from the joystick. Thanks,Keith

you sure your assigning the top keyboard row numbers and not the keypad numbers?? Keypad numbers don't work for ATC. michael

YesThe top row numbers.The Select 1, Select 2, etc. selections on the joystick assignment screen show the keyboard assignment as 1, 2 ,3 etc. The Keypad 1,2,3 are assigned as KP1,2,3 and are assigned to different functions.I have a button assigned to open the ATC window on my controller, but I do not like to have to reach for my keyboard to respond.I have the buttons available and would like to assign them to respond.I can't believe that no one has done this.Keith

Guest paulri

Hi Keith,Had the same problem with the CH Flightsim USB yoke. You can assign the buttons in the FS assignments menu, but they will not work in the sim. I think this is a problem with FS2002, as others I know have had the same problem.I am using Dave March's FDC application (payware), and was able to use the Controller X function to assign keys 1 thru 4 (on the top of the keyboard) to buttons on the yoke. Works fine, there is just a short hesitation after you push the button before you hear the transmission. Guess the software needs that instant to find the correct wav file when going through an outside application like FDC. But being able to use Buttons 1 and 2 (for responses 1 and 2--easy to remember which button :-) )on the yoke during an ILS approach sure beats fumbling for the keyboard!! Although I am part of the FDC Test Team, I am NOT saying this as a plug--any outside application that allows keystroke assignment to a controller should also work. Of course, I am biased toward FDC myself! :-) Regards,Paul

Thanks Paul,Can you supply me with a link to this FDC application?I would like to check it out.Keith

Guest paulri

Hi Keith,Sure. Go to http://www.oncourse-software.co.uk--it will give you all the details about the application and what it provides. If you are familiar with Dave's S-combo addon (freeware), FDC is the outgrowth of that, with numerous new and more complex features. Then you can visit the FDC forum here at MW--lots of posts by users. Dave is the forum moderator and is on there daily, as are other members of the team (myself included), to answer specific questions both for users and potential users.I believe there is also a review of FDC here at Avsim--one of Dave's anchored posts will have a link I believe to point to that. There is also a link on the web page linked above.Regards,Paul

Keith,There is no facility within FS2002 to map these numeric commands to a button. This is very strange.The way I have done it is via the Control Manager software for CH USB hardware. Uncheck the DirectX option for any button or 4-way hat and program it directly with the desired command. I've used one of the 4-way hats on the Pro Throttle for just this use.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

And we have done with one of the hat switches on our Saitek X45. We get all the way up to "5" before we need to touch the keyboard.Bob