Sign in to follow this  
Guest vlada stoje

Version 2 of SRTM data available

Guest Horst

Hello Vlada,Thank you, Sherlock Holmes and map maker! :)Good to know, things will get fixed!Horst

Hi all.Perhaps I should start a new thread, but here goes.The site for "finished" srtm data doesn't work for me... and hasn't for a while. I don't know if the USGS isn't aware, or if my settings are wrong for internet explorer. Can't download a thing ( miss the old interface that never failed! ).http://seamless.usgs.govMeanwhile, I'm unable to find an alternate source of finished SRTM-2.I sent the USGS a very nasty e-mail about their website interface and maintenance. As a US citizen, I don't believe I should get anything less than a fully functional website for my tax dollars. I don't expect the world... I just expect this website to work as designed.( Speaking of poor interfaces, has anyone checked out the NGA's Raster roam site... terrible! )http://geoengine.nima.mil/geospatial/SW_TO.../rast_roam.htmlDick

Hi Dick,good point about those website GUIs - they are pretty user-unfriendly indeed.I just tried downloading SRTM data and they aren't available for me either (NED works). I wonder whether this has to do with them fixing the lateral offset discussed in this thread? If so, they should have made a statement to that effect in their news section...Cheers, Holger

Guest vlada stoje

Hi Holger, Dick, Horst and all,I can also confirm that the seamless website doesn

Hi all.Another product related to SRTM is the water body data:http://eros.usgs.gov/products/elevation/swbd.htmlIt costs $60 US. I think the resolution is about 30 meters. It might be usable for producing LWMs and VTP shorelines... but $60 US for the DVD is a bit steep for me.I have made masks to alter the SRTM data using landsat7 images as a background raster image. I then create POLYS for the masks, and with some creative PaintShopPro work, and using Luis Sa's DEM2BSQ program, I can alter the mesh for coastlines quite well. This helps a lot in CFS2, where LWM water has no elevation... I just flatten the mesh data itself!Dick

Hi Dick,interesting find on the water body data. When the SRTM v2 first became available I downloaded a chunk of Patagonia and was happy to see that the oceans and inlets are now well defined (i.e., 0-m flattened), which allowed me to run them as is through Slartibartfast. Slarti needs a water mask to create the lakes (which the SRTM data don't provide) but the ocean LWM/VTP files are now very easy to generate. The lake water masks can be generated by Landsat as you say (though it requires some intensive pre-processing to remove shadows in mountainous terrain) or, perhaps, by the water body DVD data (whoever is willing to fork out the $120 for both hemispheres). I wonder if the quality of those data is sufficient for the FS design team to use in the next version of FS?!? I compared a number of lake outlines and elevations in the SRTM v2 data with my topographic maps and the spatial match is pretty good though the elevations are usually off by 10-20m (of course, I don't know whether the topographic maps are correct in all cases either).Cheers, Holger

Hi Vlada,that X-band looks pretty interesting though it seems to have quite a bit of "speckle" or is the surface of that area really that rough?Cheers, Holger

Guest vlada stoje

Hi Holger,yes I also see the speckles in the 1arc sec X-band SRTM, but there are visible perhaps the detailed shapes too. Sorry that for now these data are not public and also the coverage from the STS-99 flight was not complete due to the narrow swath of the X-band antenna. Near to the border parallels N60 and S56 the coverage could be quite complete thanks to the dense net of the Endeavour trajectories there. I don

>Hi Holger,>>I have here perhaps the final correction to the above offered>corrections for the current seamless 3 arc sec SRTM. After>observation of several another samples, it seems that there>are missing two data lines causing the positioning problem,>one vertical at Greenwich meridian>>>and the second horizontal, but not at the equator, but>surprisingly at the parallel N01>>>>So the correction for the coordinates depending at the>position on the Earth should be>>ULXMAP : = ULXMAP + sign(lon)*0.00041667 (west minus, east>plus)>>ULYMAP : = ULYMAP + sign( lat

Dean Mountford
Ultimate VFR

Guest vlada stoje

Hi Dean,thanks for confirming that observations, actually the discussed deviation is quite small, some 45 to 64 m, but for us perfectionists this is important. I opened your data immediatelly in Global Mapper and the result was as expected, seamless data jumping in the NW direction.FSX is wonderful thing, I have to watch this piece of Earth from the bird perspective and did one decent flight from YIVL Inverell to YMOR Moree, very exotic country for Europeans!CheersVlada