Sign in to follow this  
Guest andy58

SRTM Version2 1x1 degree files

Great news, Dick, thanks very much! By coincidence, I was just about to head over there this morning. File sizes are much smaller - a welcome relief for my very slow modem.Best regards.Luis

Right, very nice overall. Very little fiddling with the files, although there are still voids and values below sea level (but, you will have to look hard to find them.)Using Emerson's great program, it took about 30 seconds to make a bgl, so easy.However, I wonder if these files still have the half-pixel shift. I am having some difficulty telling.On this file, there definitely seems to be a shift, comparted to the default LOD 8 mesh (it is probably SRTM as well):http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/129646.gifBut, just a short distance away, there does not seem to be any shift:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/129647.gifAnybody know the present status of this? By the way, this is the research-grade data, I assume.Best regards.Luis

Guest vlada stoje

Hi all,Thanks Dick for pointing the link! Luis, this isn

Thank you, Vlada. I checked with the previous "dirty" version of the data, and, as you say, there is no shift.I suppose this means that we must pull out Todd Klaus' Terrascene for creating water masks. Strange to think that he was doing this all of 5 years ago.It occurs to me, and perhaps to others, that now that there is a mutually-consistant source of altitude and water data with almost global coverage that soon all our techniques of the past few years will start to gather dust. The next version of FS will most likely incorporate this data, meaning that we shall have nothing to do except to add a little detail to the terrain. We shall have no other recourse but to... gasp, go flying!Best regards.Luis

Sorry, Vlada, I meant to add:fGIS (Forestry GIS) at http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/forestry/GIS/Ap.../FGIS/index.htmThe State of Wisconsin has just announced today that it will no longer be offered to the general public, so, it is "get it while you can!"Also, try the free tools page at Digital Grove:http://www.digitalgrove.net/Toolbox_viewers.htmBest regards.Luis

Guest vlada stoje

Hi Luis,Thanks for the tips! I quickly upgraded the fGIS to the latest free version, still cant see the elevations of the parts of rivers and also in the exported dxf file there are still only the X,Y data, no Z, but I will try more in fGIS and other programs.CheersVlada

Guest Horst

Hello,Dick, thank you for the link.Vlada, maybe try Microdem and overlay the vectors. There is some kind of 3D view and video animation. Are you looking for this? Or, do you want to calculate the z value from the dem data?Luis, I played today a little bit.I think, the data SWBD (a very good job!) can be used. And we can use it in FS9. (I don not know the anomalies for overlaying to the

Guest vlada stoje

Hi all,Horst and Luis, thanks for the advice! I will try it, I was curious, if when running with the cursor by the river, we could see the changing altitude of the river, if the shapefile is 3D?Comparing research-grade v1 with the JPL v2, there is visible slight blur effect. I tried model it with the low-pass filter (x,x,x/x,1-8x,x/x,x,x) with the result (1,1,1/1,10,1/1,1,1) (dividing factor 18). I don

Yikes, very sorry, Vlada. I can be somewhat dense, especially early in the morning before I have had my coffee, which is usually the time when I stop by here.I once saw a free program, WinTopo, that reads raster and writes vector, including elevation values. I do not have it, nor have I ever tried it, since this is of no use to me. But, maybe it can lead you to what you want.Best regards.Luis

Nice GIF picture Vlada.I see loss of info (by smoothing) and some data shifting (as a side effect), even on elevated areas (non water bodies). It seems that every elevation post has been modified, not only water bordering terrain as I thought. :-(

Guest Horst

Hello Luis,??This is only an overlay 3arc Srtm Dem and the Srtm water body data (SWBD).You can use tools like Microdem or other.And the SWBD seems to be done from the 1arc Data, because this is the shoreline from a European lake.But will this be a nice shoreline in the Sim?The