Sign in to follow this  
scott967

Georeferenced Tifs into FS Scenery

Hi all My question is what is currently the best way/program to take georeferenced tifs and produce photoscenery from themAlso is there an avalible method to take contour data as in shape files in Arcview to FS meshAny help AppreciatedKind RegardsGregNZCOASTER

Guest ocelotl

The way I've been editing georeferenced tifs for MSFS generation is with Global Mapper. I do the following: I load a reference DEM whose characteristics I know. In top of it I load the georeferenced tif, hide it and recenter the screen to 100% zoom on the tif and one of the corners of the reference DEM tile on one of the corners of the viewing screen, unhide the tif, do a Print Screen and then open a vindow in Photoshop where I paste the printed screen, mark and copy the viewing screen and copy to a new image a bit larger than the expected size of the pretended image (a block of the tif exactly the geographical size of the reference DEM, but with the resolution of the tif), and go recentering, copying, pasting, handstitching until I have a refernce .PSD image to work with. Now I can cut water areas to let them transparent for the destination BGL, and can transfor the image format to .bmp or .tga to process it with the terrain tools. Even on the .PSD it is possible to make the night shot and the season modifications to make a good terrain overlay.

>Hi all >>My question is what is currently the best way/program to take>georeferenced tifs and produce photoscenery from themIf you want phototiles, I would say Terrabuilder. If you want photo VTPs, then SBuilder. Either way you have to reproject them if necesary into Geo/WGS84 and convert them into an appropriate bmp format. I hand-build LOD13 boundary shapefile for overlay in Global Mapper just to help in getting the extent correctly.I use GIMP for downsampling and doing the alpha channel work. (There seems to be an opinion that using resample to downsample is not the best way for photo tiles.)Georeferencing generally provides the NW corner and pixel dimensions, so all you have to do is multiply the pixel dimension by the number of pixels to get the SE corner. There are programs that will pull the referencing data out of geotiff tags (such as GEOTiffExamine) if you need that.scott s..