Sign in to follow this  
LuisFelizTirado

using .tif files for mesh creation

Guest artmartin

Hey all, I've been working on a GIS class project and of course it involves flight simulator. Downloaded a bunch of USGS 1/3 arc-second data and it came in 6 separate files. Was able to create 19 m/p mesh using these files that came out really great but I have 6 separate .bgl files to show for it. My final goal is to create just a single distributable .bgl of that mesh.I have a student version of ArcGIS and was able to combine all the .bil files together into a single raster dataset set to WGS84 but my output format seems to be a .tif file. I'm not sure that resample.exe will accept that. Is there a way to put it back into a .bil file or is that unnecessary?Art

Try using an older Terrain SDK (resample.exe) that used the RAW->TMF->BGL approach. There is a tmfmerge.exe utility there. You can create 6 separate TMFs, merge them and then create a BGL.Or - use multi source inf file with one destination. That should also produce one BGL file.

P3D SpacePort Team

Guest artmartin

Not to be dumb, but what's a .tmf file? That's one I've yet to experience. Also, I've seen references to raw files. Is there a particular extension on those? I saw the ability to save the output of ArcMap as a grid file but had no idea what that meant.Art

Since nobody else has stepped in:TMF stands for terrain model file. It was an intermediate step in the creation of terrain. Please see the FS 2000 (!) Terrain S.D.K. for more information.In short, that version of Resample produced a tmf, not a bgl. Then, another program allowed merging various tmfs into one, and finally a third program converted the tmf into a bgl.And no, Art, The FS Team did not have an all-powerful easy-to-use terrain tool that they kept for themselves, while giving us some clunker. Although many people liked to think so. This tmf-producing Resample is how they made all the terrain for FS 2000.Since then, there have been a more comprehensive Resample for FS 2002, and still another version for FS 2004.Believe it or not, many, if not most, of us still use the FS 2000 Resample for a lot of terrain creation.As for raw image files, they can have various extensions, most commonly... RAW! In our Flight Simulator world, they most often appear as R8.Best regards.Luis