Sign in to follow this  
Guest tomPA

Free high-quality 90-m data to supplement SRTM

Hi all,in case you haven't seen my thread about some of the new freeware mesh files of the Alps and Himalayas:I recently came across an amazing resource for FS mesh designers, created and provided free of charge by Jonathan de Ferranti: http://www.viewfinderpanoramas.org/The main foucs of Jonathan's project is to replace those SRTM tiles with major holes (void data) with new tiles generated from various mapping series. In addition, areas N of 60 degrees are provided in the same data format as SRTM.This is a wonderful gift to anyone working with DEM data, including us, and I encourage you to use these data for your own projects. If you do, please send Jonathan an email and tell him what you're planning to do and (of course) give appropriate credit in your read-me files.While Jonathan does not expressly prohibit commercial use please do contact him *before* using his data for payware projects of any kind and take a look at the "Public Domain" section on this page: http://www.sol.co.uk/v/viewfinder/topog.html I have uploaded the Alps files and have compiled the Himalayas and Scandinavia data, which I plan to upload in the next few days. Hopefully, others will work with the remaining data and/or develope landscape/scenery add-ons based on the available mesh files.Cheers, Holger

Thank you, Holger, for the information. It is fascinating to see how many people's esoteric hobbies can be related to ours.Jonathan seems to be doing major mountain chains, but I went looking for the island of R

Guest tomPA

Hi Holger,i want to replace the whole default mesh by SRTM data. i know that raw srtm data is not very good for fs2004 but for me it looks better than default. as soon as some areas of professional mesh is released i would replace the affected tiles. and here comes the trouble..is there any freeware software availiable which can compile several single srtm tiles to single bgl files automatical?cheerstom