Sign in to follow this  
LuisFelizTirado

First steps in Mesh Creation

Guest Feanor_87

Hi, guysI'm Luca Sartori, and I'm working on a new Gibraltar scenery.I've done the gmax part, and I'm ready to begin the creation of mesh, but I've some question:I've installed Microdem, but I want to know, at this point, what I've to do: were can I find the DEM for Gibraltar? I've found some .gz images, but I can't launch into the programme... what I've to do?Thank youLuca

Ciao Luca,You could probably get source data from different places for Gib. You may want to try the SRTM data as it is probably easiest, although the last time I looked, there was a big hole on the East side, where the water catchments were.To make it into mesh, FSDEM by Emerson de Oliveira may be the most appealing solution. You can find it in the Avsim library.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/142101.jpgBest regards.Luis

Guest Feanor_87

Hi, luis, thnk you for you interestI'm sorry, but I'm totally new in mesh creation...Have you some link where I can find SRTM Data?Thank you againLuca

Guest Feanor_87

Thank you, I've found SRTM for Gibraltar area, and I've loaded into FSDEM...But now I've no elevation data, How can I insert them?Thank you again, guysLuca

Hello Luca,You may want to read the Beginner's Guide that is at the top of the scenery design forum. It has much information on mesh and will recommend a few web sites, such as Steve Greenwood's, where you can find many interesting things and answers to questions.Please remember that SRTM mesh is referenced from the Southwest corner of the 1-degree quadrant.Then, do not hesitate to read the very clear Help file that Emerson put together for FSDEM - it indicates how to manipulate and make mesh.If you can find a better source for Gib, then just skip the SRTM data altogether, because it does have some serious problems. Otherwise, this is what you will get:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/142343.jpgThose red areas are voids and you will have to paint them in with altitude. In addition, you will probably want to eliminate the moles and the commercial pier on the other side of the Bahia de Algeciras, as they show some ridiculous heights, probably of cranes or ships.Best regards.Luis