Sign in to follow this  

first attempt at creating .bgl from dem

As you can see, it didn't go too well. Here's the .inf followed by the results. What am I missing? Elevation should not exceed 1200 feet yet what you see is 3000+.Thanks for any suggestions.RickDestDir = "C:Documents and SettingsAdministratorDesktopconv"DestBaseFileName = "yng"UseSourceDimensions = 1LOD = 11Type = ElevS16LSBSourceDir = "Oriondesktop"SourceFile = "yng.bsq"Lon = -80.749517Lat = 41.125183CellXdimensionDeg = 0.008333333CellYdimensionDeg = 0.008333333NumOfCellsPerLine = 363NumOfLines = 480ScaleinMeters = 1SampleIsCentered = 1http://cc.ysu.edu/~rick/dem1.jpg

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

HiPerhaps you can state how you made your .dem file.It looks like the scale entered was wrong.What method are you using to get the .dem?ngo

I'm using microdem to read a 7.5min .ddf file that was downloaded as part of a TS2 project. I save this as a .dem file and then use mdem2bsq.exe to convert the dem to bsq. I then use FSResample tool to construct the .inf, resample, and build the bgl.I don't totally understand the following at this point but here's the information related to the original dem:screen pixels: 363x480screen pixel size: 28.93mDEM points on maps: 351x464every point appears 1.07 timesThanks for any help.Rick

Looking at the SDK documentation should I be using 351x464 for the number of cells per line and number of lines (rather than 363x480). Also would cellxdimensiondeg be (7.5/60)/351 and the cellydimensiondeg be (7.5/60)/464?I'm really not sure.Rick

I'm still trying :-) with no luck :-( I think my problem is not knowing what to specify for Numofcellsperline and Numoflines in the inf file. Is this the number of image pixels, the number of rows and columns reported by mdem2bsq when creating the bsq, or the number of dem points on the map as reported by microdem (which may be the same as reported by mdem2bsq?). If I have a 7.5 minute dem then would cellxdimensiondeg = 1/numberofcellsperline/8?On an unrelated question, since the archive is down, what do you place in a scenery inf to get all seasons something like WithSeasons =1 ?Thanks.Rick

yes, you have the line right...WithSeasons = 1...also if you want to avoid changing the name of each texture for the non-summer seasons, you can put season = fall (for instance) when you are doing the resampling for fall. course you can just not bother and run them all as summer. In either case, you'll want to store each seasons sample in a seperate folder, so its just as easy for me to just run a season thru resample, then move the files to the "fall" folder (as an example). Then do a batch renaming using dos.As far as dem stuff goes, the number of cells per line is the "x" dim, and the number of lines is the "y" dim...you asked about pixels, not sure what you mean, the dem matrix is a set of elevations, right? So the number of "cells" is about the number of elevations. The cellxdim is the distance in degrees between two neighboring points in the matrix, you can get it by deviding the distance of the entire area in degrees by the number of points in one dim.Bob B

Thank you Bob your reply was very helpful in both instances. It also helps if one uses type=ElevS16LSB rather than ElevS16MSB (somewhere along the way things got switched from 16LSB to 16MSB!).I also switched to 1 degree data and scrapped the 7.5 minute coverage.The rolling hills are beautiful in what is otherwise flat terrain. I used LOD 11.The remaining problem is that the airport appears to be up on a 10 meter cliff surrounded by steap drop offs. Any suggestions here would be appreciated.Thanks.Rick

Rick: It's a bit complicated. Don't worry. I understood it witha bit of dedication. It's not a end of the world. If what a mensay, other can learn. Sent to me your web adress and I will sent to you someHow To I get in Web. There is many ways; some better than others.You will decide, with experimet how is better. The important is:you understand how it works. My best wishes

RickRegarding the airport.You can alter the height of the airport to fit the surrounding ground level.ngo