Sign in to follow this  

night textures

Dear friends:the Dolomiti scenery is ready also for NIGHT texturing ... what is the latest advancement in this field? I mean, having such textures ready for use, what am I supposed to declare in the INF file for resampling? I tried to find it out in the old forum, no ways ...Thanks!Stefano.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

stephano, is your question how to write the inf to see night textures? If so, you just include the command:withseasons = 1The night textures you supply as ???????????lm.bmp will display after you supply all the other season textures as well. that would be the sp, fa, wi, hw, and of course the default su.I know of no experiments that have worked yet to reduce the texture size, but Elrond, and Rick (I think) were working on it...Any advances guys? From what I read, Stefano is already up to 800mb! If that doesn't include night.....this becomes a multi-cd project.Bob BernsteinEdmonds, Wa.

Hey Bob (and Stefano),Well, the latest testing has shown that you do *not* need all of the seasons to be present for night to be visible - but if you change to one of the missing seasons in FS you'll get great wide swaths of gray. There doesn't seem to be a way to have the summer textures show up in all seasons if the others are missing. Hopefully the SDK will give a way out here. Until then, you can always let your users know that your scenery is a summer and/or night only affair. The nights will show if present - in all seasons.Take care,http://members.rogers.com/eelvish/elrondlogo.gifhttp://members.rogers.com/eelvish/flyurl.gif

Thanks Bob and Elrond:to summarize, when I am ready with my night textures, I have resample/convert them and to rename the full bunch of files (HOW MANY!) with the extension LM instead of SU and that's it? Of course, provided that I force the simulator to fly only in summertime (I won't NEVER have photographs other than summer ones!). Is that right? I am asking instead of trying since I'm now at work and I don't have FS stuff here.Cheers!Stefano.

remember to add the line withseasons = 1 in the inf file. Here is my inf file for Tacoma. If you add season = lightmap, I believe the resample will provide you with properly named textures. If not do a batch renaming. If you move the texture slices from each sampling to a unique folder, then you can rename the entire folder of files in dos by the command: ren *.* ???????????????lm.bmp[Destination]DestDir = "E:flyingtacomatacsmall"DestBaseFileName = "tacs"UseSourceDimensions = 1withseasons = 1 [source]Type = CUSTOMSourceDir = "E:flyingtacomatacsmall"SourceFile = "tacsmalb.bmp"Lat = 47.28834596Lon = -122.6102448NumOfCellsPerLine = 1430NumOfLines = 1380CellXdimensionDeg = 5.54264E-05CellYdimensionDeg = 3.56894E-05ScaleinMeters = 1.0SampleIsCentered = 0Good Luck: Bob Bernstein

>Hey Bob (and Stefano), >>Well, the latest testing has shown that you do *not* need >all of the seasons to be present for night to be visible - >but if you change to one of the missing seasons in FS you'll >get great wide swaths of gray. There doesn't seem to be a >way to have the summer textures show up in all seasons if >the others are missing. For now you could get around this by (ok here is the dumb part) just copying the summer textures and adding the Sp, Wi, Fa to each copy of the summer set. This is a huge waist of space but it would work in allowing the night textures and not having to look at grey areas when the season changes it also would allow for working and checking on your results of the other seasons. Paul

Elrond,Concerning night textures, can we get away with including ONLY the night versions of textures where night lighting appears? For unpopulated areas, there would be no night lights and thus no night texturing would be needed.For example, the large swaths of barren rock and dense forests in the Dolomiti region would have no night lights, so it would be silly to have a darkened version of those textures when FS2002 already is properly derkening them.Misho

Hi Misho,Ahhhh, I wish! Unfortunately, if you remove any of the tiles specified in the tmf, you get the "gray" tile syndrome as well. I surely wish tiles weren't hard coded in the tmf as this would make a utility to automatically thin out the unlit night textures by light percentage as easy as pie (something that has existed for Fly! since its begining I might add). Until the tmf has full documentation from MS (lets hope the SDK gives this as well as the .agn formats!), we'll have to stick to all of the night tiles - useful or not.Take care,http://members.rogers.com/eelvish/elrondlogo.gifhttp://members.rogers.com/eelvish/flyurl.gif

To add to Eronds comments FS does not do a decent job of equalizing its Night time effects (darkening) of non-LM textures that is they take on a washed out blueish fullmoon tone, and if you try to match "that" look with your custom LM teaxtures then there is a very bad and contrasting diference where the custom scenery transitions to the default. However it is fairly easy to write a script for batch proccessing in Photoshop or Corels Photopaint to produse the right amount of even darkening to the whole texture set, then you just go in and touch up the city and town areas etc.Still it is a ton of work! Thats why I am trying to go the LandClass rout with the occasional photoreal added in. :)Paul

No success, yet ... but I'm probably confused: am I supposed to provide TWO bgls pointing to different BMPs, day/nite? Or in the scenery subdir one will find just a single BGL for that area with the switch withseasons = 1?Sorry but I'm really lost now: my night is dark as coal!Stefano.

How are you all even doing the night textures?? It's pretty much impossible to do it by hand painting.I tried using Terrascene with some custome night textures and then overlayed it on a darkened version of the original photo and the effect looks not too bad. Is there any better way.Matt

>How are you all even doing the night textures?? It's pretty >much impossible to do it by hand painting. >>I tried using Terrascene with some custome night textures >and then overlayed it on a darkened version of the original >photo and the effect looks not too bad. Is there any better >way. >>Matt Hi Matt,I first ran batch proccessing to darken my Bmps then as you said did the rest "by hand" in PhotoShop. And yes it is a pain! Thats why I made comments regarding using highres LandClass data mixed with a few small Photoreal areas as I think its much more manageble.http://www.frontiernet.net/~pleatzaw/images/Txplynt1.JPGTake CarePaul

Wow...that looks really good. Can even see the headlights of cars on the ground. Did you manually place each dot or is there a faster way to do it? Definately no way to do that over a large area the size of an entire city.Matt

Dear Elrond:No success, yet ... but I'm probably confused: am I supposed to provide TWO bgls pointing to different BMPs, day/nite? Or in the scenery subdir one will find just a single BGL for that area with the switch withseasons = 1?Sorry but I'm really lost now: my night is dark as coal!Stefano.