Sign in to follow this  

Terra Builder

I'm kind of new to this and would like someone to explain to me what exactly Terra Builder is and what it can do for me. Do I need programming knowledge to use this program.Dave

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

You don't need any programming knowledge at all, but the same attention to documentation required by a programmer would be required to use Terrabuilder as well. I was flying over my first photoreal scenery within an hour of downloading Terrabuilder. My only data entries made were the name of a bitmap, and the lat/lon extents of my scenery. Changes made in FS2002 also allow for import of scenery made with Terrascene, originally made for Fly! & Fly2!The most complex part of making photoreal scenery with Terrabuilder is locating and finding the source material for your project!John, KPHX

Right now, TB will allow you to overlay Microsoft's default scenery with your aerial photographs at a resolution of 4.8 meters/pixel.There's no programming experience required for TB but there are a LOT of new terms and concepts to understand if you are new to scenery design. As JohnCi says, the real work consists of understanding how to obtain and prepare the aerial photography itself, but that's done independently of Terrabuilder with a program like Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro.

Thanks JohnI may have sounded like I knew nothing about this but the opposite is true. I do understand alot about some of these programs. I just wasn't sure what Terra Builder was. You say I can convert scenery's from fly Terra Scene. I do have the program and have kept all my files on CD. Just in case I might use it again. Acually I really enjoyed Fly because of the excellent scenery. Is it very hard to convert these files. I'm in the process of donloading Terra Builder right now and will check it out. I have some very excellent scenery's that I kept in Fly and Fly2K. I actually have all the flight sims that ever came out. Pro Pilot,FS98,FS2000,FS2002,CFS etc. Always trying to find a good sim. I really like FS2002 with all it's extras but want to improve my local area scenery. It's here in Alberta Canada and Microsoft didn't do much for making it very realistic. Hopefully I can spruce it up a bit with Terra Builder and some add on's from Fly and Fly2K.DavePS. If you can give me any ideas drop a line .

John;You say one can use TerraScene, for FS2002. I have been using TerraScene from day one. I now have been trying out FS2002 but found default texture far from enjoyable. Could you email me steps involved in using/converting TerraScene to FS2002.richardlhll@wmconnect.comRichard;

Rather than emailing the steps, I'll repost them here.... You have to understand use of Terrabuilder, first and foremost. I'm going to skip that part, since it's already well documented by Misho. As for the Terrascene piece, it's quite simple:1) Generate the .tga output file. I skip slicing the project with Flyedit, as well as generation of mesh and night textures... 2) Convert the .tga output file to .bmp format. 3) Follow the remaining Terrabuilder steps for converting the scenery, using the .bmp file converted from Terrascene as your source.That's about all... Terrabuilder treats the image like any other photoreal source, regardless of how it was generated. The only side issue to all of this, it that it takes a while for all the photoreal textures to load. But the end result looks very good indeed...

"Right now, TB will allow you to overlay Microsoft's default scenery with your aerial photographs at a resolution of 4.8 meters/pixel.There's no programming experience required for TB but there are a LOT of new terms and concepts to understand if you are new to scenery design. As JohnCi says, the real work consists of understanding how to obtain and prepare the aerial photography itself, but that's done independently of Terrabuilder with a program like Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro."This is exactly what I want to do. Overlay a ski resort aerial over Bryce Mountain that is next to airport w92 in virginia. I don't know where to find terrabuilder but Ill look in the the scenery design section of 2002