Sign in to follow this  

making photo realalistic scenery?????

OK, I asked once before how to do this and someone told me to get ImageSizeCalc.exe. What a great program... but I am still stumped. All my scenery is either too big or placed wrong. Obviously I am doing something major wrong. I have tried to follow the directions that ship with TerraaBuilder Lite, but nothing helps. I think my big problem is converting to 4.8m/pixel. the trouble is, I have to know what the original resolution is first... and I get the disctinct feeling that image resolution is not the same as size.I got my image from Cornell's Digital Earth. Now I need someone to lead me by the hand to get this thing to work in FS2002. I am using Terrabuilder Lite and am totally screwed up.I need step by step instructions if anyone can provide them , Please!!!some questions that need to be answered in these step by step instructions are:1. how do I determine the original meters per pixel using PaintShop Pro 7. I need to know this in order to determine 4.8 m/pixel with ImageSizeCalc.exe2. Once I know the correct resolution for 4.8 m/pixel how do I resample the image to 4.8m/pixel. Please, as I said before, point by point as if leading a blind man.3. does the physical size of the image matter? I have been using a scale of 3/4 inch = 7 km and the image is 220 km wide.I sure hope someone can give me a step by step instruction on how to convert the image to 4.8m/pixel.The original image information is as follows:dimensions: 377 x 402 pixelspixels per inch: 100pixel depth/colors 24/16 millionThis is a texture image.thanks for taking the time to explain this to me. I anyone can give me a really good point-by-point, I plan to print it and Keep it by my side as a permanent guide. Call me TOTALLY CONFUSED.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Let me give this a try...go into your original image and crop out a SUBSET IMAGE where you have some two points on OPPOSITE CORNERS that you ABSOLUTELY KNOW the exact latitude and longitude, and submit this subset of your original image to TB using the phototerrain wizard..Remember also that since you know the pixel count, and the extents of the sub image you calculate the extents of the larger image with a little math.When you get to the dialog box where you enter the Lat's and longs, UNLOCK THE BOXES FIRST then enter the extents. You will then get the factor in meters/pixel of the actual image you submitted after you enter the lats and longs.Misho calculates this for you as soon as you enter the Lat's and longs..Call these two numbers xres and yres.If they are larger than 4.8 your resolution is too coarse..if less than 4.8 ,too fine.Iff the 2 numbers of meters/pixel are different from 4.8, then your image needs resampling with psp, and will need the number of pixels changed by a factor of xres/4.8 and yres/4.8AN EXAMPLE:If you have 2000 pixels width in your SUBMITTED image and misho calculates your xresolution at 5.5 m/pixel (too coarse for FS2002 and TB), your width in pixels for your resized,resampled image will be NEED TO BE 2000 x 5.5 / 4.8 (xres from Misho), or 2291.Now you have a higher resolution because 2291 pixels are describing the image originally defined by 2000 pixels. Use bicubic resample for increasing your pixel count, use bilinear for reducing your pixel count in psp. tb will then have to do very little if anything to your image with the "cruder" resampler fs2002 supplies in their terrain sdk.PSP's manual describes how to change the size of the image with resampling. My PSP 6 manual shows it on Page 206.btw.........IF YOU RESAMPLE TO A HIGHER RESOLUTION/PIXEL COUNT, YOU WILL FIND THE EDGES OF THE IMAGES WILL "DISAPPEAR" AND YOU WILL APPEAR TO HAVE ZOOMED IN TO YOUR PICTURE..DON'T PANIC....USE CANVAS RESIZE AND YOU WILL FIND THAT THE WINDOW EXPANDS AND UNCOVERS YOUR DATA YOU THOUGHT WAS LOST.

Thanks for your reply. Now, if I already know the lat and long for the original image, why do I have to crop a subset image?

You don't..I was assuming a worst case scenario, such as a lake bordering one whole side of an image, with no landmarks.

ok So I did what you said and I get a resolution of 428m/pixel horizontal and 84.6m/pixel vertical. to resample to 4.8m/pixel I have to resize to a humungeous size. I have 586 megs ram and that is still not enough to handle a graphics file like that.so my next question is: where can I find decent aerial photos of Canada, free for download, that can be adapted and used in Terrabuilder Lite. And thanks again for your help.

Sounds like maybe you forgot to but a "-" in front of the longitude. Something doesn't sound right. As far as free aerials for Canada online, I don't think they exist. There is a college somewhere that has aerials of (i think Toronto) one area, but you have to be a student to get them. I think Elrond has them also.Matt

Hi Richard, (a.k.a. T.C.)The picture that you have placed here is really not adequate for creating replacement ground textures. Resolution is not sufficient and you would not get good results.Before anything, spend some time searching for good quality images. A few days, or months, on the internet should give you some interesting leads (yes, long, but we all go through this.)Determining the resolution of a good image is not difficult. Just look for something in the picture that is easily measurable. Some people recommend a runway. I just take the nearest football field (that is football, the game where the foot and the ball are in contact) which, by standard FIFA rules, is 100 meters. Your image editing software should allow you to display a ruler with pixel counts - just line up the object you wish to measure with the ruler, count the pixels, and do your simple division (meters divided by pixels.)Your image editing software will also do the resampling for you - just resize the image to whatever dimensions are indicated by Elrond's great little tool. He also has a great little resampling tool that will do the resizing, in case you do not have a good image editing program.Don't really know what you mean by the physical size of the image, when you ask if that matters. Do you mean, is 220 km. wide too large for TerraBuilder? Some people have come up against limits with images that are very large, but this may be dependant on their available memory. However, do you really want to create such large scenery? This is an important question, as the greater the coverage, the more megabytes. Something that large will be pretty monstrous. To give you an idea, I am working on an project that is 30 km. wide by 20 km. long. So far, the image is about 90 MB. After conversion to dxt format, it should come down to 20 MB. But then, there are also night textures (another 20 MB) and all the seasonal variations (each another 20 MB.) So, altogether, we are talking about 100 MB of scenery, just covering a city and its suburbs. Quite a lot, and maybe too much for many people to download via modem. I shall probably have to reduce color depth, and lose some of the quality, just to make it smaller. Your image would be much more than that.Good luck.Best regards.Luis

Thanks Matt,I did put the - sign in front of the longtitude. I think the post from Luis at the bottom explains it all. Darn, I wanted to try to improve upon the scenery around Penticton, B.C. (the rouads aren't right) and Dawson City Yukon (the terrain near the townsite is incorrect and the main highway is wrong) using photoreal techniques. But I guess I will just have to live with what MS has given me.

Thanks Luis,I believe that you are correct and the images I am trying to use are far to large. I have to find something smaller. There are a great deal of images of the U.S. but for Canada, the supply is limited.Richard

>>so my next question is: where can I find decent aerial >photos of Canada, free for download, that can be adapted and >used in Terrabuilder Lite. Try http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/default.aspThe next place to try is Terraserver.com. They are much more limited but thier arials are dead on instead of the slanted building look like those found at the Microsoft site. Why, because they use Orbimage data. Problem is that it requires a membership of up to $139 a year.Pete>