Sign in to follow this  

Coloring Black and White Orthos.

Hi, I guess it's been a while since people had to do this! For me though that's the best quality images I can find. I'm wondering if anyone can remember or knows a good way to color orthos? Thanks for your help!-Mitch

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Sure, but you need a graphics program that can do layers. I use Corel photo-paint. Make a green layer, a brown layer, maybe a light brown layer...and whatever your artistic sense wants layer.set each at 50% transparency, and start adjusting the underlying layer value, so that the green only covers the darkness levels of say 0 thru 120, brown from 120 up to 155 or so, light brown above that.select major roads,and copy that selection into a new layer. Put that layer on the top and you've got a great start on it. All that's left is fine tuning!Bob B

This handy program do perfectly the job :ColorBMP (somewhere in the Avsim FLY! libraries)The same author (thanks to him) have made some other free ressources of interest, so make a search for them.For some sightseeing if you need results, have a look at some of the little trials I have made a lot of time backward now, it's old FLY! but it doesn't matter.... http://pro.wanadoo.fr/marieclaude.jeannot/sitefly!/Sorry, in French only... photo links are in the upper right (French Alps, Turkey,...)Caution! working with orthos scenery is not a space saving option, several Go for a scenery is not uncommon.Friendly yours, bob

Hi, having a go at this as we speak. On another note is there a way to use fs2k2's default textures to colour parts of the ortho? When I try this, say using trop.bmp as a pattern, It turns out not as detailed in the game as the default textures around it. Like quite a bit blurred. Like to know if anyone has done this?Thanks again.

The default textures are at 4.8 meters/pixel. Just make sure that your SOURCE imagery is at the same resolution, and the "fill in" patternt is bound to have the same sharpness.Misho

If your taking screenshots of the default to use, make sure you are seeing the close up mip of that texture.Bob B

It's a shame because my source images don't have an exact M/Pixel reading. They have the lat and lon boundries though. I forgot how I did it but I mangaed to 'estimate' the M/Pixel from the lat/long cords and from that resampled it to 4.8m/pixels. When I use the default textures (I can only find a few in .bmp format) they seem great in the paint program but in fs2k2 they seem to get a bit blurred and only appear when you're close. Well they're not as sharp as the surrounding textures. I'm guesing that my source isn't 'exactly' 4.8M/pixels and is causing this? Thanks again, -Mitch

Don't know, but I will say I also disliked the results I got when using the textures directly from the default. What worked for me was to take screenshots (from a close enough view to assure the default was at the biggest mip image, and then take a screenshot. before I used the screenshot image on my texture I upped the contrast and brightness of the screeny by from 20-50%. B

I'll give it a go.Also is there a tool/way to get distances from lat/long co-ords?-Mitch

Hello:You must read old message. By the way, MICRODEM has an utility to count distances between 2 points.Julio Estefan

there are equations, its more complicated that you might want, because the longitude lines are not parallel.What I like to do is to find a runway that is on a nice angle, perhaps 45 degrees. If I can't find any use two runways, one for horizontal, one for vertical. the only rule is that whatever you find is at the same latitude of the area you care about, and that the image of the runways is at the same resolution as the image you care about.Using ortho doqqs this works great.www.airnav.com will give you the lat/long of the runway ends often, although fs2002 are usually different, I use fs2002 as my guide for lat long usually...in which case slew to the end of the runway and use shift z to tell you the coordinates.convert the coordinates to decimal degrees by dividing the minutes by 60 and adding that to the degrees. (if you have seconds to work with too, first divide them by 60..and add to the minutes...then divide that whole sum by 60 and add to degrees).subtract the decimal degrees long to get a difference in long, and do likewise with lat.take your image into a graphics program and determine the number of pixels in x and y between the ends of the runways....divide difference in decimal degree by pixel count and you have deg/pixel, a very important number for phototerrain. If you know your m/pixel (image resolution), you can understand m/deg by dividing the image res by the deg/pixel.If you don't know the image resolution, then take the length of the runway (published data from Airnav), convert to meters (ft x.3 = m), and then take the pixel count from before..the count to the two ends..convert them into a hypotenuse, (x^2 + y^2 = z^2), then compare the distance in meters times the hypotenuse value of pixels. This results in m/pixel or resolution.Bob Bernstein