Sign in to follow this  
Guest mikehaska

Free payware-quality aircraft....

(Message edited by author on 2002.05.24)Dear Sir,Thanks for your comments, which contribute so much to encourage "freeware developers" to continue spending thousands of hours just to get those kind of comments from persons like you.I came back to this forum to tell everyone about a new file I should soon upload, just to find so nice comments as yours. OK. Just take it like this: I made this plane for my own use, the reason why I made it is just because I like learning. I learned programming gauges, also learnt making visual models... and also learnt about constructive criticism: it is extremely rare.Anyway, for those who like it: The new version will have a re-worked visual model and textures, and, yes, Mr."J", the flight dynamics are also updated. If it is not available this weekend, the reason would be that I'm waiting for beedback from a real ATR42-300 pilot who kindly offered himself for beta-testing the flight model. Luckily enough, my inbox is not only full of mails coming from persons like you, but there are from time to time persons who like to do something constructive.F. S

Guest mikehaska

Peter- you said a few posts up: "if you dont like it bin it but dont dare say anything which in anyway doesnt heap praise onto the freeware authors." (I know these aren't your words, but I want to work off them)When you see a middleaged man driving a Porsche down the street, you might think, "What is he overcompensating for"In the same stream, a lot of simmers are always in a state of apple polishing because they are scared it will all be taken away. This was 'pioneered' by PFG, later the FFG, Posky closing down their forum, and the IADG. It seems that in these cases (especially the Posky one) it's a few members of the community who ruin it for everyone. They make a few bad comments, pirate, or release w/o permission, in any case, they make it hard for the developers.But when you guys shut down, you really take it out on everyone else- therefore, everyone else feels the need to constantly praise the author, lest he leaves and takes his toys with him.I'm sorry if it offends, but it's the truth.

Mike,Let me explain it a little more: I started the ATR not as a plane, I just started programming some gauges for a panel that would be released by another person. That other person shut down his project (funny enough, he was part of one of the groups you mentioned). I felt really frustrated. I had spent eight months working every night on it, a minimum of two or three hours per day on those gauges, researching about the aircraft and seeking for all kind of information. Then I decided that I should make a panel to fit the gauges in, but of course than I needed some extra gauges to compensate those which were going to be programmed by someone else who also dissapeared... In the end, I ended up with a plane. Good or bad, but more or less complete. It took me two years. You call it my "toys". It's not toys. It's two years of my life. And I'm not taking my toys with me. Simply speaking, I don't feel anymore like giving out a single minute of my life to anyone else. The only thing I've got since I released my plane is a hughe load of complaints(believe me, my inbox has been full everyday ever since then), few greetings and one or two constructive criticism. Now I fully understand that person who disappeared months ago when I was ready with my gauges.F. S

Thanks, Mike for all you put into this projectLike the rest of us, you've learned the complainers seldom contribute and contributors seldom complain. I have your plane and panel but haven't got it installed yet. I was in Roach Harbor the day Piper flew the Malibu in during the photo shoot (had two multi-engine planes tagging along) They flew all the way up to the PNW from Florida just to take pictures. The resulting pictures were used in the advertizing blitz in those early days. I can see why you fell in love with this plane; it and the King Air are probably the most-beautiful machines ever built by man.Thanks again for all you're doing for us.Bill

Guest eko

Ya, I think there's something to be said about getting too much criticism. I think a developer, whether it be freeware or not, should welcome comments, it's when they seem trite, personal, or just downright trivial that freeware developers start to throw their hands up in the air and say "Why am I doing this?".I personally am very glad that Mike released the Malibu. Gorgeous plane. Did it fly the way I like? No. I modified one of my existing AIR files for it. Cockpit? Nope. Made my own. Did I send an e-mail to him saying I didn't like the AIR file or the cockpit? NO!!! Because these were my PERSONAL choices, and not the fact there was anything wrong with them to begin with. I PERSONALLY just wanted to change them to suit my tastes.I think many folks DO send that e-mail to the developer when the airplane is not EXACTLY how they expect or want it to be. This is just downright unproductive. Now, if there are GLARING problems with a release (like you crash when you try to load up the plane), then it behooves you to let the author know about it, in a NICE way. :)If you are extremely familiar with how the airplane flies, or your a panel guru, and can offer some constructive additions to what the author has released... DO IT FOR THEM and send them a nice e-mail ASKING if they could add your changes/additions/modifications in a future version, or if you can release the modifications on your own.This should all be common sense, no? And Mike... once again... THANK YOU!!!!! Give us more GA... please!!

Were you talking about "Roche" harbor? If so, do you live on San Juan Island? I'm wanting a photoreal roche and yet I won't have a chance to take them for quite a while. I live in Edmonds, but I just don't get up there very often.Looking for a photographer!Bob BernsteinEdmonds, Wa.