Sign in to follow this  

Images keep clipping

Hello,Is there anyone in the forum who can tell me why my images do not fit within the "lod 13" grid in terrabuilder lite?. Even when I have resampled them to the recommended 4.8Mpix in photoshop and process them in terrabuilder, the results in fs2002 are still clipped. I like this software but I'm getting frustrated with trying to get around this barrier. Any help with this problem would be appreciated.Regards,Ed

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

What you see in FS is the real LOD13 grid. If its different then what you see in terrabuilder, then somethings going on that confuses TB. How much difference is there? I could likely make sense out of it for you, if I could see more information. Let me know if you want my help. I'd want to see your image, and specific latitude and longitude of the ends of a runway, if you are doing an area with an airport.Bob BernsteinEdmonds, Wa.

The images that DO NOT FIT completely in the LOD 13 grid will be discarded. Is that what is happening?Also, I did notice that even when images fit completely, sometimes they get discarded nevertheless. I have no explanation for this.One thing is for certain: TerraBuilder is just a front-end to the Terrain SDK. If you try to calculate and type in all the info into INF file and process it "manually", you will get same results. So please don't blame the TerraBuilder software.Misho

Hello, Thank you for your responses.Yes that is what's happening,I am trying to figure out a way to process these images without any parts being discarded,now that you have indicated that this will happen regardless of doing it "manually" or not. I can now eliminate this problem as an error on my part, which is what I really wanted to know. I have to admit I'm a newbie at this sort of thing, so my apologies for indicating that it may have been an anomaly in Terrabuilder.Below is the address to the site where I'm downloading images (1:50,000 scale)with accurate extents provided. I am using map 30m05 of the Burlington, Ontario area which is where this address will take you to directly. The shortcut above the image is a larger downloadable size that I worked with after I resampled it to 4.8mpix. This is a half decent site for some scenery designer's who may want to carpet areas of Canada, since this material is much harder to locate on the internet than it is for U.S. coverage.http://toporama.cits.rncan.gc.ca/toporama/...=En&snrc=030M05Regards,Ed PoortingaBurlington, Ontario

Sorry for the late response....One way you can eliminate the clipping is to "pad" your photoreal scenery around the borders with generic textures. I simply paste the generic MS textures--just enough to make sure that the grid is filled on all sides of the image. I then estimate the new image extents, until the scenery is imported into terrabuilder... Then I recalculate the extents using Misho's scaling tools...I hope this suggestion helps!Regards, John, KPHX

That's the direction I'm heading in. Have managed to get the transparencies working over the ocean but padding looks like the easiest solution for landform areas. Too bad it doesn't work over land as well. I am also going to try overlapping of adjacent areas to get rid of the missing textures resulting from alignment with the lod grid and put them at different scenery levels. It worked with a couple of higher resolution features I overlayed in a larger scenery area using FSResampler.Andy

Thanks for your suggestion John. I did start experimenting with borders in photoshop. I created a blank image that was 256x256 larger than my original. I then pasted the original to this new image to create a mask and therefore also a border. I then loaded this new image into Terrabuilder to see which areas would be clipped or included in the final sampling stage. By noting the X and Y coordinates of the image corners that I wanted to retain on the Terrabuilder screen,I then went back to my photoshop project to attempt to "transform the scale" of the image mask. I then used this image back in Terrabuild to see if I had retained the image and that all borders would be "clipped" off (not filling a full grid).I was able to do this with good results. The only problem was that when I re-calibrated the image extents using "2 Point Calibration" the image shifted, throwing every thing off again before the final sampling stage of the image in Terabuilder. Close but no cigar, I'm going to keep working this angle though to see if I can make the software only "clip" the borders of the image that I'm trying to process. One other thing with this method was that I could not use the full 4.8mpix image since it was to large to process and the software would lock up when zooming in or out as I attempted to observe the images corner positions within the grids. I used an image size that was approx 12.0mpix to experiment with.Regards,Ed Poortinga

Ed, you are recreating work I played with last fall. My conclusion, once I learned why this was happening, was to learn how to determine the LOD13 grid locations BEFORE I settled on how much image I would present to resample.exe.I'd take an image, like a composite made from Terraserver downloads, and then draw the LOD13 grid on top using guidelines. If I wanted to avoid "clipping" of an important part of the image, I'd know I should continue adding more of the composite image to that side. I made a spreadsheet to make the work easier to do this, although that was before Misho had finished this version of TB, which also provides this feature. Its easy to predict the LOD boundarys relative distance in pixels from any point of known lat/long. Then, its very easy to lay guidelines in the right place.This way there is really no experimentation. Just one iteration.Bob Bernstein