Sign in to follow this  

Beginner

Hello all,Here's what i want to do, is this possible with TB Lite or Pro?Scan a relief map of a Caribbean island. Designate lowest and highest altitude.Replace existing MSFS2K default which is a flat island with this new mountainous island.I suppose then I need to re-create an airport for the new scenery.I apologize for these amateurish questions but scenery for the Caribbean is deparately needed.Many thanksPatrick

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Patrick ... my friend ... my buddy ...What island? Forget it, doesn't matter, any island. Relief for the Caribbean - good slogan.Perhaps Misho would be so kind as to give you extra special help with your project. Please, Misho, we are just some small insignificant scraps of land, but so beautiful in the bright tropical sun. And desperately in need of scenery.Good luck to you, Patrick.Best regards.Luis

Patrick,"Relief Map" of Caribbean Island will NOT work. Relief map depicts SHADED topography, as it would look when lighted by the sun. In that map mountains have dark and bright sides. What you need is an ALTITUDE map, where high elevations are bright, and low elevations are dark.Misho

Misho,Thanks for your reply. Since there is a lack of imagery for the Caribbean...I could repaint a relief map to remove shading and still obtain a grey scale in Photoshop correct?ThanksPatrick

Yes - There would be a certain guesswork involved. A very good way of doing this would be to use a program called Bryce3D. You would airbrush your "main" mountains as blobs of white and then let Bryce3D's "erode" filters create crevasses and gullies that look very natural.If you had a topographical map with topographic contours, you could scan it and use contours to fill in areas of progressively lighter grey (as you go higher. Then "blur" that (to avoid terracing) and you would then have an altitude map as well. This approach would be somewhat time consuming.Misho

>Yes - There would be a certain guesswork involved. A very >good way of doing this would be to use a program called >Bryce3D. You would airbrush your "main" mountains as blobs >of white and then let Bryce3D's "erode" filters create >crevasses and gullies that look very natural. >>If you had a topographical map with topographic contours, >you could scan it and use contours to fill in areas of >progressively lighter grey (as you go higher. Then "blur" >that (to avoid terracing) and you would then have an >altitude map as well. This approach would be somewhat time >consuming. >>Misho Misho, I have successfully repainted a relief map into a AM (The island of Nevis in the Caribbean) everything is fine until I say Compile. Then the SDK dialog appears. What do I do here? What is the INF file? My texture files are created but no .BGLs. When I try to add a source and destination (do I need this?) the program crashes.Any help is appreciated and then I will share the Caribbean islands with everyone. ThanksPatrick