Sign in to follow this  
Guest misho

Terrabuilder coordinates question

Hello,Can you please help me as for those 2 details in Terrabuilder lite Maketerrain coordinates sectionThe Min and Max Long and Lat do they mean the top left and bottom right corners or the opposite? And what are those 4 buttons around the long lat photoreal image box?Finally how do I indicate if the coordinates are North and East, do I simply write for exemple E xx:xx:xx ?Thanks!Michel

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Michel,The values are NOT corners, but EDGES. they are always: MAX MIN MAX MINYou have to remember that the geographical coordinates are a cartesian coordinate system. LARGE NEGATIVE VALUES are actually SMALLER THAN SMALLER NEGATIVE VALUES.For example, -20 is SMALLER than -10.Therefore, depending in what QUADRANT of the world you are in, make sure you assign your values accordingly.Indicating NESW coordinates is easy: you can use either "-" sign for SOUTH and WEST, or use PREFIX notation:SX:XX:XX (no spaces!!!)

Hello Misho,Any idea why my island appears flat in fs2000? I have all the altitude info correctly entered and it appears in the TB interface, however my texture and altitude do not appear over the location coordinates.Also I cannot use the SDK interface in TB. It crashes or does nothing. I have to use the DOS commands directly to convert to TMF then to BGL.Thanks for your input for this my first effort.Patrick

Hello!>>Any idea why my island appears flat in fs2000? I have all >the altitude info correctly entered and it appears in the TB >interface, however my texture and altitude do not appear >over the location coordinates. What approach are you using? PhotoWizard or PhotoTerrain?If PhotoWizard, please follow Tutorial 1 CAREFULLY and let me know if it worked.>Also I cannot use the SDK interface in TB. It crashes or >does nothing. I have to use the DOS commands directly to >convert to TMF then to BGL. You're using WinXP right? I'm following the thread where you're reporting problems with this. I have to say that I don't know why this is not working for you - it works for some people and does not work for others.The next TB update will have Path checking and the ability to override path locations - Perhaps this will fix all these problems.Misho

Misho, thanks for taking time to reply. 1. I was using PhotoTerrain, not PhotoWizard. I will try it with PhotoWizard as per Tutorial 1.2. I'm using WIN98.

misho,BTW your tutorials are from 1999 before the release of SDK. Do you have an updated tutorial that describes the SDK relationship at the WRITE SOURCE CODE menu?ThanksPatrick

That is correct, and this is what it is stated in the Release Notes:SDK APPROACH is the newest addition to TerraBuilder. BEFORE that we had to rely on SCASM and "Relief Chunks". For you newcomers it is all new stuff so it seems a bit overwhelming ant first.So:SynthWizard:PhotoWizard: Both relying on OLD methods that require SCASM. Terrain produced suffers from visibility and "hardness" problems. It is recommended that these 2 approaches are NOT used for any further scenery development. The progress is upon us so we should not look back!PhotoTerrain:Microsoft-native method - The PROPER way to design scenery. SCASM NOT NEEDED There is no tutorial (yet) but the release notes have clear, step-by-step instructions on how to create scenery. If there is no resampling done, the cause may be one of many different things. Sometimes your image is not in the right format, sometimes the image is too small (does not cover the entire LOD) etc.For some folks it works from the start. You have to try several iterations if there is nothing in the beginning. I will have a tutorial soon that will hopefully make it straightforward to design a scenery within minutes...