Sign in to follow this  

Autogen 3D over Custom tiles - quickly

I thought some of you may be looking for easier ways of populating custom/photorealistic textures with Autogen scenery than doing them all one by one using the MS tool. I have used the following method to quickly populate tiles ( isn't as complicated as it looks when you write it down ).............A. Generate textures as per usual.B. create a list of the bmp files. I used to have a cool 'send to list' tool but now had to resort to printing an archive of a zip file to a txt document.C. Decide on 5 to 10 texture types that will do your scenery justice. In my case grass, suburb, pine, 18scrub, 38scrub...etc. Put them in a working directory and name them correctly eg grasssu.bmp ( note the ???su.agn format )D. Use the ms tool to generate the agn files for the above types. to give you for eg. grassan.agn, suburban.agn, pinean.agn, 18scruban.agn, 38scruban.agn...etc.E. CLean up the text list from B. to give you a column of the bmp file names stripped to remove the su.bmp part. You can do this a number of ways but I just import the txt file into XL and use the delimited option with S as a delimiting character.F. Import the cleaned up list into a spreadsheet in the first column. See ex speadsheet below.G. Using convim ( or similer veiwer ) veiw the bmp files of your base textures one by one ( or in groups depending on your memory ) and assign a shortcut type for each. In my case g, s, p, 1, 3, etc. Record these 'on the fly' in the next column of your spreadsheet. The attached screenshot shows this. The PSP window is of the original base image in case I had to check where I was. If you have 2 computers or a mate to call them out it is even quicker. The advantage of using Convim is that you just arrow down and make a call, you don't have the open file saga you do with the MS agn tool.H Use a lookup table ( or logical function ) in the XL sheet to generate the appropriate agn type for each bmp file.( you only do this once when setting up the spreadsheet)I. Use XL functions ( you only do this once when setting up the spreadsheet) to generate a series of 'copy XXX.agn YYY.agn' rowsJ. Copy the rows above ( from D on in my sheet )and dump in a txt file and save with a bat extension.K. Run the bat file from the working directory from E.L. You will generate a series of .agn files. Copy these to the texture directory of your original scenery.M. open up MSFS and check for any that give you real grief ( highrise in the lake ! ) and go back using the MS tool on this texture only to modify.If you are unhappy with the autogen for a type in general you only have to modify the base agn in your working directory and go from step K. above.Hope this helps someone.With the programming brains in this group I'm sure a cute little utility do do the above ie. assign agn types from a library to textures using one keystroke will not be far away. In the meantime my spreadsheet is available at http://members.ozemail.com.au/~paeet/texlist.zip for anyone who wants it.regards Patrick F

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Thanks Patrick!Do you have a screen shot of some of your custom work with its own AG that you could show us please?Thank Very Much.Paul

Hi Patrick,that is interesting. I never did anything with SDK Autogen. So I just downloaded SDK two times from:http://download.microsoft.com/download/Fli...Autogen_SDK.exeBut I could not open the exe even the second time. The response is: >Zip file is damaged, truncated, or has beem changed since it was created. If you downloaded this file, try downloading again.http://www.flightsimmers.net/airbase/peter.../slicecount.zipPit

My Canberra scenery as it stands at the momment - work in progress.You can see the suburb in the forground, bush on Mt Ainsle ( the hill at 3/4 up ) and sparse vegetation in the grass areas over the ridge.This is untouched ( ie. I have not gone back into any agn files individually and got buildings off the roads or out of the water !)Note the city centere is not Autogen (Unfortunately!)I am going to do some nice gum trees as a replacement auto gen base for Australia. The SDK has a pretty good file description, but I am not sure which of the files are read for Aus autogen ? Assume it is Asia or the default.Regards

Pit,just downloaded from your link above - mine installs fine.If you manage to download, read the documentation - it is short and fairly to the point.Your system will work fine. All you need to do is generate a matching .agn file for each of your .bmp tile types using the MS SDK tool, then copy around like you do for the bmp files then place all teh .agn files into your texture directory with there matching bmp files.regardsPatrickF

Thank's Patrick.I am working on that. And I will show the result at this place if that looks good. Any case, Niagara looks great.Not so fine is, in our area all roofs of buildings are not flat. Housetops are more peaked. And Autogen makes flat only.Pit