Sign in to follow this  

Help!! Scenery not showing in FS2k2

I am new to Terrabuilder. However I've been reading through the forum and other sites and can't seem to find the answer to my problem.I have satellite imagery of the baltimore area. It's 4.8m/pxl and other req by terrabuilder. I am going through the step by step "Quick Tutorial" included in the release notes of Terrabuilder 2 Lite v1.97.07 Beta. I am following the directions word for word (except where it says 'click open' and only 'save' is avail.) I am getting the scenery and texture folders with the files in them just as it said. However, when I add the scenery in 2k2, it doesn't show up? All help is really appreciated. I'm losing a lot of time trying to figure out what's wrong.Thanksbguile. :-jumpy

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hello Paul,I really have no idea of the cause of your problem, but hope that you will not mind a few suggestions.Check the textures in the folder. Look at them with DxtBmp or ConvIm and see if they are really there or just empty documents.If the textures have really been created, then you might verify your geographical coordinates, in case a small error may have placed the textures somewhere else.Good luck.Luis

Hello,In addition to what Luis said, I would add thatyou make sure that the scenery is properly installed through FS2002 interface, with "scenery" and "texture" folders.If you have everything in right place AND IN THE RIGHT FORMAT, there is no reason that the scenery wouldn't be visible.Misho

Misho,That's just it. I'm not sure if I am or not. First I tried creating a 'myscenery' folder in the FS2002 'scenery' folder and pointing to that folder when it asks for the Photoreal scenery location in step 4 of the wizard so that it creates scenery and texture folder. It does, but when I go to run the resample current setup and point to that folder, I get a 'file not found' error. However, if I keep everything in my 'project' folder and create everything there, I get the scenery and texture folders with the bgl and bmp's in their respective places. I then copy them to the 'myscenery' folder after I've cleared it out from previous and go into fs2002 and point to the scenery. Still no scenery. I've also done the tutorial1. I went to that place and still no scenery. I made sure the settings in Terrabuilder was set to fs2002. Do I have to leave the inf in the texture folder???thx for your help with this.

Ok....so just to make sure I'm not going crazy, I created a couple buildings in gmax just so I could place them where I "think" I'm placing the scenery. I added the folder to the scenery library just as normal and VIOLA! They showed up. I tried recreating the phototerrain again and placed it in the same folders and still nothing. However, I have noticed a few things during my trial and errors.1. When I click on add source/destination, Terrabuilder crashes.2. There is only one bmp in the texture folder after using the PhotoTerrain Wizard. When I look at the textures using DXTBmp I only see one part of the scenery. The original filled 4 LOD's with a lot left to spare.I'm running Windows2000 Professional.Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!Bguile :-jumpy

Ok. So I've finally been able to place an image in FS. Although not the image I want. However, I am still not able to place the image I want.The test image is a simple 600x574 Satellite shot. I follow the instructions in the tutorial, place the files in the FS scenery folder, and it works.My preferred image is 1500x1500 and still doesn't work.I have noticed that my test image fills up 6 LOD's while my preferred image only totally fills 1!I'm confused.Someone please help.thx-bguile :-(

I understand that the LOD has to be completely filled. I was able to understand that from the beginning. However, please explain to me how a 600x600 image can fill 4 LOD's and a 1500x1500 only fills one?????? Is there a way that I can shift the image so that it fills the grids? Or maybe change the size of the grids?

OK friend. Then check again the coordinates of the area that you want to fill with the image. Also check again your *.inf. Perhaps they are wrong. If you want you can send me the coordinates of the area, the image and also your INF to me. I could check it in my own CPU.Julio Estefan

Thanks Julio.I got the email and the file. I will work on making the image bigger. Thanks for all your help.:-)

All,I'm starting to get the hang of this thing now. I've gotten a larger 4.8m image and have been able to place it in 2k2. However, my new problem is that the image covers water area and the FS terrain doesn't exactly match the satellite photo. Is there a way that I can get the 2k2 water effects with my photo, or am I looking at a project I'll have to scrap due to this problem?ThanksBguile :-jumpy