Sign in to follow this  

Scenery Files in MSFS2002

After a recent MSFS2002 install, I get only generic scenery, and a lot of messages: "Can't open scenery file: Unknown directory." Or some such as that. It shows a garbage name, or corrupted name for the directory it is trying to open. What I want to know, is how, short of an uninstall, reinstall--How can I get the scenery files and directories corrected? I am not familiar with the file structure in the program yet. I am fairly new to using this sim. I don't know how many files, directories should be in the sim. I do not know their names. Can any one help me on this? Help appreciated. Thanks.

Guest firehawk44

Don't know what you mean my "generic" as all FS2K2 scenery is generic unless you installed a scenery addon. Check your sliders at the scenery tab in your display settings and make sure the sliders are to the right and dynamic scenery is checked. Check your scenery.cfg file located in the main FS2K2 directory and review each Area listed. Mine gets corrupted once in a while and the areas are out of sequence especially if I move scenery up or down in priority. The Area number should match the Layer number and should be in numerical sequence beginning with Area 1 at the beginning and ending with the last scenery (mine is at Area 130). You might also check the scenery library located under World and make sure all scenery areas are checked except "Default Texture Cache". Hope this helps!

Firehawk 44, and Other Interested Parties:I returned to MSFS2002. I did what you said. I had only 1 - 122 areas. They did match on the "layers." The last one, 122, was the only piece I tried to "Add-On." It had stopped loading at 81%. I had to reboot. Then Flt Sim would not run. So I had to delete the main LGAV directory. It was the "Athens" scenery. Not LGAT, but I think it was "LGAV." I had not put in the small patch for LGAV. I went into the scenery library with MSFS running. It also had the same 122 areas with LGAV as the 122 area. All were "X" in the check box. The sliders were medium or less, so I shoved them to the right and I got trees and a few small hills. I was at LIT.(Little Rock). The ERROR message I seem to get on about every flight within a couple minutes after take off is: Scenery Read Error: Attempting to open a non existant directory. Then this: C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFS2002gY-?. (But, in my case, the "Y" has two dashs across it. The dash is a division sign, and the question mark is a Spanish question mark: a descender turned to the right, not left. In other words, what some folk might call goobledy gook or garbage.) I suppose that might mean that the program is trying to open a diretory that has been corrupted? Virused? What? I just don't know. When I fire up MSFS2002 now it immediatly tells me error on trying to read the scenery diretory for the LGAV. Well I finally know what this one is. I deleted it when the sim would not run with it installed. My Scenery diretory has "8" .bgl or .bgi files, and one .vis.My Add On Scenery has two empty directories: Scenery, and Textures. So I am still looking for ideas. I can re-install, but would rather just add the files and directories if I can identify them. I have another source where the fellow can upload them to me if we find out what to upload. Ha. Thanks All Lowell Wiley

Guest firehawk44

Lowell...I have "9" *.bgl files in my scenery directory and world.vis. They are as follows:dem4km.bgldynlib.bgllclookup.bglmagdec.bglregions.bglseasons.bgltimezone.bglworldlc.bglworldwc.bglI'm not sure these are the default as I have installed several new sceneries since my original install of FS2K2 Pro. But, you may try finding the missing bgl file on your FS2K2 installation CD and, if found, extract it to your scenery directory. I doubt this is your problem though...I am not a computer guru, but I believe a config file directs a program to find a certain scenery, as required. If you look at your scenery.cfg file, you'll see a "Local" line which contains the location of the scenery file within FS2K2. Make sure any addon you installed has the correct location of the new scenery you installed. I noted that all my addon scenery does not contain "C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesAthens etc., to id the location of the scenery (except 767 Pilot in Command). Just a simple line as follows: Local=ADDON SCENERYVenice2k20LIPZ2k2If you deleted your Athens scenery, is it also removed from the scenery.cfg? If not, FS2K2 will be looking for the scenery file during startup and you should get an error message. Whenever I've deleted scenery, FS2K2 automatically deleted the scenery from my scenery.cfg file but it's possible it didn't happen in your case.Hope this helps solve your problem(s).

Thanks for the reply. I know you went to a lot of trouble. But I got online with a brother who lives half way across the country. We determined all the files did match in those folders. So guess it was not that. I finally got frustrated. I had good trees. Sim working well but for the scenery problems. Flat ground terrain and textures. Water looked black in the places I checked. So I uninstalled. Now I am trying to reinstall. I will put a whole new post on for this one. Things did not get better--but worse. Please read if you find time.Thanks.