Sign in to follow this  
rhumbaflappy

Thanks schampi!!!!!!

Having given up on manually redoing landclasses long ago, after Orlando gave me the sobering news that I would have to redefine an entire LOD 5 quadrant, I tried again using the "mask" value of 254 you identified in your posts here and in the mesh forum. I applied the mask everywhere except the area I wanted to reclassify. To test your post, I chose a quadrant in the Great Basin, and assigned the city texture value "121" to the first 15 bytes of my 256x256 .raw bitmap.After resampling, compression, and conversion, I launched FS2002 and moved to the NW corner of my LOD 5 quadrant. Sure enough, I had 15 km of city textures along the northern edge of the quadrant, surrounded by the default FS2002 textures. The FS scenery engine did a good job of "blending" my city textures with the surrounding scenery. So now I can add or improve any city, without having to worry about obtaining landclass data for an entire surrounding quadrant...I've placed a post in the main FS2002 forum soliciting ideas for future projects. I've already built an application which (like Orlando's webpage) takes a reference point and identifies the corners of the LOD 5 quadrant it resides in. It also identifies the point's location within a 256x256 grid, so I can easily find which bytes to change in my .raw file. To complete the process, I use a batch file to resample, compress, and build the final bgl file.Thanks again for your post--and I hope to have some results to show for the effort you put into writing soon in the Avsim file library!John, KPHX

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi John.Yes, schampi's discovery really pulls landclass design together, allowing easy modification of landclass LOD5 areas.Why not post your application, along with a 256 x 256 transparent RAW file, and some instructions, here at AVSIM? I was going to do the same with Orlando Sotomayor's LOD5 finder, modified to show the x,y cell numbers ( with his permission ). But you're already there, so post it and achieve notoriety. Cheers, to you. :-beerchug

"....Why not post your application, along with a 256 x 256 transparent RAW file, and some instructions, here at AVSIM?..."Will do... Only bit I need to work on are the instructions... The app is ready to go.... I might tinker for a day or so on another co-project...a raw file generator... But I need to hammer out the user interface...I may integrate it with the LOD 5 Landclass Assistant....I'll update this thread once I have the app online here at Avsim...John

More good news on your suggestion....I've added a very basic .raw file handler to the application. It will allow those without access to a paint program that handles .raw files a means of building the file needed, and the means of populating it with appropriate landclass values. Manipulation of the .raw file is via entry of X and Y coordinates (which can be automatically filled in by my LOD 5 Calculator, or manually entered), and via entry of an appropriate landclass value. It's not meant for large scale landclass mods--but you can update 40 or 50 sq kilometers fairly quickly. There is also a "Flush" feature, which allows for initialization of the .raw file with the "mask" byte value of 254. Basically what I've made is a very simple hex editor integrated with the LOD 5 Calculator.Probably when I have more time I'll release a second version which would allow one to "draw" the landclasses on a visual representation of the .raw file. Sorry for the kludgy interface...I only spent 30 minutes writing the file handler code, as my wife and I have a date to see K-Pax tonight. :)Regards,John

Here's a screenshot of the application. I'm working out the documentation, which will be a start to finish tutorial on the process. Hopefully, I'll finish sometime Monday and have the entire package ready for upload by that time: