Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kurt

Extracting FS2002 textures for TerraScene use...

Greetings all...I am working with TerraScene 2.1 and using it to generate some "photoreal" scenery for FS2002 (using TerraBuilder as the go-between, of course)The stock Fly2/TerraScene textures leave a little to be desired, so I was wondering if there was a way to extract the FS2002 textures for use with TerraScene? If anyone has done the very same thing, is it worth the effort to extract them rather than use the ones which TS2.1 pulls from Fly2? (the 7.5m ones)...My next question will be about water masks, but that can wait a bit. :) -GermMy biggest problem is that the TS2.1 (1/4) world tiles I am using don't match up with the LOD grid in FS2002 (duh). If they did, we'd have the perfect scenery generation suite of tools!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I have spent some time with Terrascene 2.1 and FS2002. Certainly there is no problem using TB to place the terrascene textures. However, I find the result to be somewhat poor. The Terrascene textures are limited to 7.5m/pixel while FS2002 is 4.8m/pixel. The difference is very noticeable. I have tried various resampling filter sbut even the original TGAs do not look as good as FS2002 textures when viewed up close as one would see with VFR flights. Not sure if Terrascene can be made to work with 4.8m/pixel.Dick

Have you tried updating the land class. That would have a similar effect, but you wouldn't lose autogen and you wouldn't lose night lighting or seasonal textures as you would by using TerraScene. Also, you can do a huge area with land class update and not have to deal with an 300 meg file.The only advantage I see by using TerraScene is the roads are much better. Otherwise, landclass updates get you to pretty much the same place.I think TB's real strength is with aerial photos. For generic scenery, land class is the way to go.Matt

Yup - TS2.1 can be made to work with 4.8m/pixel textures. It just needs to know what the resolution is to lay down the roads properly. Other than that, its just dropping down the textures you specify.I've used TS2.1 with its textures, and yeah - they aren't all that spectacular. And I am doing this for the roads, and more accurate placement of things... using TerraScene, the highways actually go through mountain passes, not over them; rivers flow in valleys, not on them;and radio antenna's are on in their proper locations.All in all, its a FANTASTIC marriage - if only i can figure out how to work with the textures! Seeking help in uncompressing/decoding the MSFS ground textures for use with TerraScene/TerraBuilder. (I have considered using landclass for it, but I am really looking for the roads and whatnot... VFR is enhanced 10x with proper roads and all the small little ponds)

Yeah, I see the point, but the roads are what's "driving" me to this. (heheh)I read that I can get night textures using TB, so I can just use the night textures as an image source in TerraScene. It should be do'able. Space isn't a huge concern, as I won't be distributing it... but I am going to do a HECK of a lot of area... practically all of new england. Autogen vs. TerraScene fidelity is a worthy arguement. While I'd love both, each one has strong points to their credit. The layout of TerraScene is spot on, while the atmosphere of autogen is unmatched. In my judgement, I'd go with the TerraScene, only because its fun to find your street. If only I can make it all work!-Greg

I fully agree that the Terrascene roads/shorelones/rivers are MUCH more accurate than FS2002. However, I do find the textures to be less attractive - personal view. The main point I am unable to resolve, however, is the resolution. You noted that 4.8m/pixel was possible. I have tried changing everything I can find to 4.8 with no luck. I changed all 15 or 7.5 settings in the Project file to 4.8. I changed the pull down texture settings to 4.8 at the bottom of the scroll/menu area.I tried to change to 4.8 in the Project Options menu BUT it always reverted to 7.5. I can not get that to go to anything less than that value??? Perhaps you can share how you were able to get Terrascene 2.1 to 4.8m/pixel.Thanks & regards,DickDick

I haven't! I was presuming that the settings you were changing actually worked. They let you enter 4.8... I just trying to get the textures out of FS so I can have a base at 4.8! (Just starting here, folks) Looks like you did the legwork for me though because you changed all the 7.5's to 4.8's and the output is still bad. I'm resisting using the Terrascene/Fly2 textures because I know FS2002 is capable of so much more... but if Terrascene isn't, then its a moot point.Perhaps I'll do up a small area just to experiment with and see if I can get used to the textures. The geographical detail is just great, and sacrificing higher res textures and autogen may just be worth it to me. (We'll see...)Thanks anyway to all for your contributions,-Greg

You can still do the Autogen with the Microsoft autogen tool. It workd ok on Terascene textures. Problem is that in a large area you have to "populate" many different blocks of Terrascene textures. Fun at first but a pain after awhile.With Terrascene supossedly locked at 7.5 meters per pixel its textures are inadequate except at high >5000ft AGL. Really is a shame. If whoever owns the code would make changes to allow higher resolution and the use of FS2002 (Lennert's) textures the product would be a very big winner. Probably a $50.00 item. Unless Microsoft releases a program to take the same road, water, etc. files that Terrascene uses we are stuck with a very poor approximation of shorelines, rivers, lakes, and roads.Dick

Heheh - looks as though I asked the same questions then!!! :-doh

There is the following at the end of your old/original message:" I also used wordpad and replaced all the references from 7.5/=7.5 to 4.8 in the new trp file."I have done this as a replacement of all values equal to 7.5 being replaced with 4.8. Not sure about the construct 7.5/=7.5 ??The result remains at 7.5 m/p. This is verified by loading the TGA, (converted to BMP 256 colors) into Terrabuilder. Did you actually get 4.8m/p from Terrascene 2.1??The issue I seem to hit is that under PROJECT OPTIONS there is an entry for resolution. When I set to to ANY value less than 7.5, and do the update, it reverts back to 7.5. Since this value appears to manage the number of pixels (and thus the resolution) it would guess that it is essential to somehow cause the value to remain at 4.8...Thanks,DickDick

Dick,I have a generic .trp file that I have gone thru and replaced all 7.5 with 4.8, when I do a new area I save the project and go thru the .tsp file and change any 7.5 to 4.8 and then go back into Terrascene and do the render.I change my .trp files often and when I do I find that the values for any changes go back to 7.5. I don't try to change them to 4.8 within Terrascene, I save the .trp and then use wordpad to make the changes.Since I am usually using a new .trp file with each project, I save both the new .trp and .tsp and exit Terrascene and then check both files in wordpad before going back into Terrascene and doing the render.If you start a new project and use a .trp that has already been changed to 4.8 and do not make any changes you will probably only have to make one change in the .tsp file.http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3cf8caf1705e50dd.jpgKurt