Sign in to follow this  

Scenery not showing

Hi misho. I've followed the Photo terrain tutorial to the letter and i now have a chopped up image, a .inf, .tmf and .bgl. The bgl is in the scenery folder, and the images are in the texture folder. I've added the scenery in the Scenery Library and made it priority no. 1. The scenery doesn't show! Have i missed something? A possible clue is that the scenery covers an area of 63x45km but the tmf and bgl files are only 2kb! This seems too small.Any help appreciated.Thanks, Mark.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I forgot to say, i'm running under Win XP Home.

Terrabuilder does not work properly using windows XP. This you can solve by using Terrabuilder like i do:first use Terrabuilder to locate your bmp file at the correct location (lat/lon) then also use it to create the inf file and to resample. more than that you cannot do when running under xp. You cannot save and reload your prosject using win xp!! It just wont work..... at least on my system. here is the rest of the recepie:copy imagetool.exe and tmf2bgl.exe to your working directory.open a dos window.chdir or cd to your working directorytype this commands:imagetool -terrainphoto -nogui -e bmp *bmp (this creates the bmp's in dxt1 format)tmf2bgl (this creates the actual bgl file)move the bmp's to yourscenerytexturemove the bgl to yourscenerysceneryedit your scenery.cfg (use notepad!) so that fs2002 finds the scenery.then it will show up - if you do not follow this it wouldt not show up at all using windows xp. if you have win98 everything works from within Terrabuilder - but i have found out all this the hard way since i have xp an all my machines....good luck!

Thanks. I had kind of answered my own question when i found out about the XP problem. Actually I can save and re-open projects, and my bmps were created fine, it was just the inf to tmf to bgl part that didn't work. I have a 750mhz laptop (VERY slow) running windows 2000 that i am trying to use but it would be handy to know the other method. What i don't understand is where/how to open a DOS window. Is it in the start menu somewhere?Oh and what does "chdir or cd to your working directory" mean?

dos is what computers use to be before all this fancy graphic interfaces came along.........'open it by click on start - all programs - accessories there you will find a icon looking like a black box written C: in it. thats a win xp program simulating ms-dos. you have to type commands in dos. start with help -- that list all the commands. then you can type help as this: help cd gives you spesific help for the cd command. its easy.

OK Torg,I have followed your instructions and the image converting to dxt worked fine. tmf2bgl conversion went fine and i put the files in their correct locations and added the scenery. But it still doesn't show.I have a feeling that the decompile stage is the problem. In terrabuilder, all the numbers and data appears in the DOS window and a .tmf is produced, but it is only 2kb in size. The original bmp is 178mb and is split into 2075 chunks! How can all the info needed to make the .bgl be contained in just 2kb of data? this is too small isn't it? Anyway, is there some way to do this stage directly in the DOS window as well?Any help would be greatful, and misho if you're reading this, then feel free to take me out of my misery!Thanks, Mark

I just tried to do resample in the DOS window: resample "LDN.inf" "LDN.bgl" And it worked, but the scenery is still not showing. The .inf does have data in it (could this data be wrong or not complete?), it resamples to a tmf of 2kb which is converted OK to a 2kb bgl. The textures are made from the bmp and converted to DXT. All the files are put in the correct directories and the scenery added to FS2002. Then it doesn't appear! I'm pulling my hair out here!

Sorry, in post 5, i meant resample stage, not decompile stage!

Hmmm. the tmf file should be larger, approx 250 to 350 kb and the bgl slightly less so there is obviosly something wrong. Let me think awile.... Can you post your inf file here? What is the filesize of each texturefile? (should be 43 kb)

Here is the inf:---------------------------------------------------------------------[source] Type = CUSTOM SourceDir = "C:Program FilesFS2002ADDON SCENERYSCENERYEnglandLondon 2002" SourceFile = "LDN.bmp" Lat = 51.691111 Lon = -0.659167 NumOfCellsPerLine = 9728 NumOfLines = 6400 CellXdimensionDeg = 0.00009388706140350877 CellYdimensionDeg = 0.00005855034722222152 ScaleinMeters = 1.000000 SampleIsCentered = 0 MakeBMP = 0 BlockWidth = 0[Destination] DestDir = "C:Program FilesFS2002ADDON SCENERYSCENERYEnglandLondon 2002" DestBaseFileName = "LDN" UseSourceDimensions = 1---------------------------------------------------------------------The size of each compressed texture file is 42.7kbI'm no expert but the data here doesn't look extensive enough to tell FS everything it needs to place all those 2075 texures. Am i right?

I am stuck here. I can se your scenery area is crossing the 0 degree line - could be the problem. Somebody else, Misho? please help here !! Can a inf file cross the zero degree line?? (i thought i was an expert....)your tmf and bgl files should be a lot larger. The inf looks fine.try this:open a dos windowgo to your working directoreytype: resample resample will now work for about 30 seconds and there shall be a row of numbers written to the black screen in the dos windows... until it is finished. Do this happen? Do you get any errormessages?top

i am 99 % shure it is the crossing of the 0 degree line !i havent tried it.try moving yor mainpicture to E 0:0:0.0whats happening then?

Ahh i see! It might be a bit tricky to split the image because it is so large, but i will try this (i'll do it on friday) and report back. Now you mention this, i do recall hearing something about this ages ago but forgot about it. Those pesky Romans, why did they have to build London in the wrong place!

Yes you were right the 0 degree line (meridian) was the problem. To save splitting the image i resampled the whole image to give me a set of texures, then made 2 bgls, one each side and deleted the texures created. This lets the "old" texures "show through" (I discovered this by accident). My only problem now is that i have a strip about 1km that is not photoreal following the meridian line. I think this is because the left side of the image doesn't fit the LOD 13 grid precisely. Also there are 6 airports to match the image up with. O what fun! When i have something presentable i'll post a screenshot!Anyone want a photoreal London?