Sign in to follow this  

FS2000: Sea around an island?

Hello,continuing my attempts to make a (fictitious) island for FS2000 (yes, that's FS2k, not FS2k2), I am now able (thanks to Misho's support) to create a texture and a terrain relief (using the PhotoTerrain method and a self-made altitude bitmap). Indeed, the island shows up where it should, and miraculously, the plane doesn't even fall through the geography :-).However, the island has always the square shape of the complete textured area, i.e. the surrounding sea of the default scenery is not "flooding" the 0 m altitude terrain around the island "foot", and thus not creating the intended rounded shape of the island.I've looked far and wide for tools and hints, and found lots of bits and pieces but no comprehensive introduction to all this.It seems that in FS2002 this is solved by use of an alpha channel mask to handle transparency, but FS2002 uses conventional bitmaps which don't know about alpha channels.So, how can I get the coastline of the island right?Is this anything to do with Exclude, or do I have to adapt the texture itself to the island shape (i.e. providing myself the sea texture for the area of this scenery)?More generally, are there any good tutorials somewhere, dealing more comprehensively with mesh terrain issues in FS2000?Thanks for any hints!Cheers,Martin E.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi,>the plane doesn't even fall through the >geography :-). That's because the island is over default water. No problems there, but if you had scenery over default ground - all kinds of problems would crop up. That's what we had to deal with in FS2000. All this is gone now with Fs2002.>However, the island has always the square shape of the >complete textured area, i.e. the surrounding sea of the >default scenery is not "flooding" the 0 m altitude terrain >around the island "foot", and thus not creating the intended >rounded shape of the island. >>I've looked far and wide for tools and hints, and found lots >of bits and pieces but no comprehensive introduction to all >this. >>It seems that in FS2002 this is solved by use of an alpha >channel mask to handle transparency, but FS2002 uses >conventional bitmaps which don't know about alpha channels. You mean FS2000 uses conventional bitmaps... yes.>>So, how can I get the coastline of the island right? >>Is this anything to do with Exclude, or do I have to adapt >the texture itself to the island shape (i.e. providing >myself the sea texture for the area of this scenery)? You have several choices in dealing with this and I am working from my memory and that's all I can help you with: You can:Colour the water to resemble the default water. This will looks ugly as the scale will be off and the distance haze will hide the default water and coloured water differently.Research and find out how to tell FS which color in BMP will be see-through. It IS possible, (I did it) but it was very very long time ago and we moved way past this.Sink your island to just below the default water. This will be a bit ugly as the coasts will be straight and you might have problems with z-buffer shimmers.>>More generally, are there any good tutorials somewhere, >dealing more comprehensively with mesh terrain issues in >FS2000? there used to be a lot, but frankly, everyone forgot about them as soon as FS2002 came out and all these issues were fixed. I am not sure what is your requirement to be working in FS2000, but I can promise you, you WILL get frustrated, and the results will not be perfect.

Hello,thanks for your reply, Misho, I really appreciate the time you take to help with my rather obsolete problems.>That's because the island is over default water. Ah, the luck of the beginner. I'll stick to islands... :-)>>but FS2002 uses >>conventional bitmaps which don't know about alpha channels. >>You mean FS2000 uses conventional bitmaps... yes. Of course. A Freudian slip -- I am beginning to feel the strong urge to go over asap to trying FS2002 scenery...>Sink your island to just below the default water. This will >be a bit ugly as the coasts will be straight and you might >have problems with z-buffer shimmers. This one I tried, setting the base altitude at -1, but it lead (not unexpectedly) to all sorts of strange effects. However, I'll try the other options you mention, esp. finding out about the BMP transparent colour.>there used to be a lot, but frankly, everyone forgot about >them as soon as FS2002 came out and all these issues were >fixed. I am not sure what is your requirement to be working >in FS2000, but I can promise you, you WILL get frustrated, >and the results will not be perfect. Yes, I can definitely see your point. And I'll be doing this just once, and then switch to FS2002 scenery. But this project is for a friend who still is stuck with FS2000.By now, I am beginning to look forward to doing it right, i.e. with the new features and tools... :-)Thanks for your support!Best regards,Martin

How about experimenting with Airport & Scenery Designer to make the shape of the island. As it is in the middle of the ocean you will need to make an R2 square with the Lat and Long corners and then save and use it to place a polygon to the shape of the island. Make the points of the polygon in a clockwise direction, about 100 points should make a good outline.Then put your terrain, &c. on top.