Sign in to follow this  
Guest misho

satellite texture versus water

Hello to all,I started yesterday to use terrabuilder to replace the default FS2002 textures with satellite texture above Toulouse, France. I followed the html tutorial provided with terrabuilder lite and everything went just fine. I have however now to adjust the picture with the scenery since not less than 4 airports are around toulouse, all of them must fit with the satellite picture.I have two questions however: 1 - what happen around the coast between the land and the sea or in the case of Toulouse between the land and a river. Is there a way to keep the water texture where it is. If the satellite picture covers the water area, is it still possible to land there .2 - Once the satellite picture is used in Terrabuilder you can see it on the screen with the LOD grid. I suppose this grid is fixed for FS 2002. Is there a way to know precisely the lat and long of each grid so that it could be superposed with a printed image to facilitate its manipulation.Thanks for your help

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

>I have two questions however: >>1 - what happen around the coast between the land and the >sea or in the case of Toulouse between the land and a river. >Is there a way to keep the water texture where it is. If the >satellite picture covers the water area, is it still >possible to land there . If you are asking wether it is possible to replace water areas in the satelite image to look like default water, the answer is yes. You must provide an alpha channel image along with your satelite image and use a program called FSTexConverter, by Elrond Elvish (I still haven't figured out precisely how to do the water surface using Microsoft's Imagetool) This is an advanced topic and I am still working on a tutorial that will explain this. You won't be able to land on the water (except with the amphibian :) ) because it will look and behave exactly like default water.>>2 - Once the satellite picture is used in Terrabuilder you >can see it on the screen with the LOD grid. I suppose this >grid is fixed for FS 2002. Is there a way to know precisely >the lat and long of each grid so that it could be superposed >with a printed image to facilitate its manipulation. The grid in TerraBuilder has a precise placement. The length and width of it can be calculated by subdividing Earth 13 times (LOD level 13) - That's how I did it in TerraBuilder. You can read the Lat/Long of the grid by placing the cross-hair cursor and reading the numbers on hte bottom of the screen.

Thanks, when I said "land" I had the amphibian in mind so your answer is right what I was waiting for. On the grid coordinate, what do you mean by dividing Earth 13 times, if I divide the circumference of the Earth (40 000 Km) by 13 that will give me huge cells.Anyway thanks for your programme, it works very well

Salut Vincent,There are a handful of LOD calculators out there - check the library. I use LODcalc version 1 by Richard Marklew. A little buggy, but just enter the coordinates for any point and it returns the LOD boundaries.You may find it difficult to get all airports to fit precisely. In one of my projects, I have painted over the airport in the picture so that the default airport will not clash with it.Or, you could try breaking up your project into 4 different parts and calibrating each one by its airport.Best regards.Luis

Many thanks for your answer. AS you say fitting all airports precisely is a bit tricky. I think I am going to try to be as close as possible by reshaping the image and then break the project into 4 different parts. That's an excellent idea.

>On the grid coordinate, what do you mean by dividing Earth >13 times, if I divide the circumference of the Earth (40 000 >Km) by 13 that will give me huge cells. Sorry - what I meant was: Sub-divide earth to 6 quadrants, 3 horizontal X 2 vertical, and you will get LOD Level 0. Half each quadrant and you will get Level 1. Do this 12 more times and you will get Level 13. The table of all the values is included in PDF document that comes with Terrain SDK for FS2000, available in the Microsoft's FS2000 section of their web site.>>Anyway thanks for your programme, it works very well Thanks!