Sign in to follow this  

Image rotation

What is the easiest way to rotate a large (7928x6400 pixels) image by a couple of degrees? I don't have PSP or photoshop. My computer is a Athlon 1.4GHz, 512Mb DDR RAM, GeForce3 Ti 200. This sounds like good spec but it grinds to a halt when you change anything drastic.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

>What is the easiest way to rotate a large (7928x6400 pixels) >image by a couple of degrees? I don't have PSP or photoshop. >My computer is a Athlon 1.4GHz, 512Mb DDR RAM, GeForce3 Ti >200. This sounds like good spec but it grinds to a halt when >you change anything drastic. No "easy" way to do this. Image rotation is a fairly complicated task, and you will need a good photo editing software.

You can download PSP4 for free on the internet. Just have a search for it.

A free utility that will do this is GIMP, search in any good search engine, u'll find it. GIMP is a remarkably capable image processing program, with the only huge limitations for me is the inability to do free distorts on an image. So far everything else I do with Corel Photopaint I can do with GIMP.Bob Bernstein

I have downloaded gimp already, but not used it much (it doesn't seem that user-friendly). I usually use Image Forge but this image is so big it can't even open it! Do you think it's worth rotating it by about 1-2 degrees? I have a feeling the image will look weird after the modification (reduced definition)and it will probably take a very long time. Trouble is, if i line it up (vertically) with Heathrow then London City is about 500m too far north (on the image) i could create new airports, but they'd be in the wrong position and have wrong runway headings! BTW i still have this strip of default scenery down the 0 degree line; any hints?

I always find I must rotate my images by 1.9 degrees. Not sure why. While GIMP may appear hard to use, the right click mouse button is the key. It opens all the doors. If you open your image in GIMP, right click, then pick "tools"/ then "tranform tools"/ then "transform"/, then click on the image...you'll have boxes to enter rotation.No idea about the 0 degree line...sorry.Bob

THE GIMP 1.2 with a note "fabulous image editor that rivals Photoshop for features and power - an essential tool for digital photo entusiasts" is the free disc given with the magazine PC ANSWERS for August 2002. www.pcanswers.co.uk