Sign in to follow this  

Night textures from aerial photograph?

I would like to make night texture from my aerial photography. Is is a simple matter of experimenting with selective colour replacement of pixels within a graphics program (in my case Paint Shop Pro 7.0)?Any assistance, links or tips would be much appreciated.kaimei

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Many ways to skin a cat here, I've found good results by making several new layers one with dense default night scenery tiled to fill the image, and another with less dense default night scenery, and then using transparency of the layers, I've carved up the two layers to leave a logical pattern based on the roadways etc. This method blends well with the default. For small areas, you could blend in details put in using light rendering effects, assuming psp provides those effects, never used it so I don't really know if psp can do that.Best,Bob BPS...thanks for your kind comment on my profile thingy

I'm not working on night-textures. But I made some tests last jear. T filtered my normal textures in photoshop and inserted all 10 meters above the normal area in FS20000 and FS2002. The result You can see at www.petercie.de on FS20000 page below the map. I think that was looking great in flight. (Problem was morning and evening) But nobody was interested.Nowerdays I would studdy the way Micosoft works in Niagara scenery. You find the link in Autogen area on my page.Pit

Hi BobI am not working at night-scenery in moment. But all that is interesting and I have some questions.Assuming You need two INFs. Can You show Your INFs to see what is the difference for night. Is it possible to make only the town night-textures, and let field - mountain area as summer? (That downloads do not become too big)At morning the area becomes lighter and lighter. But night-lights should have same brightness. Are that spezial colours?Is it possible to make opaque (transparent) textures?Did somebody make opaque (transparent) textures for edges? So that our area is not a straight quadrate??(;-)??? ;-)?? Pit

I can show you the inf files tonight, I'm at work right now, but they look identical except I have inserted a different source file, the night bmp. Since the night bmp is identical to the day bmp in file size, location of details etc, all other parameters in the inf are the same.You can set the output texture file slice name using season=lightmap, I usually don't bother. I make subfolders to contain my main slices, all my other season slices, my night slices and my alpha slices, and end up renaming each using the group renaming mask command in dos.I don't know a way to have part of a bgl use night files and part not use night files. Sounds like you need to construct this using seperate projects, each with their own bgl and textures.The resample.exe and tmf2bgl use LOD13 as their edges, so only rectangular areas result. I make mine look irregular, by adding default textures to my main bmp at the edges and adjusting their constrast and brightness to match well. Best,Bob B

Thanks Bob and Pit for your suggestions above. I'll try them out over the weekend and report results back to the forum.Cheers,Kaimei

Hello Phil,I just use a quick and easy method, by placing the default night textures over my picture. Important roads and highways can be outlined using a line of lights copied from a default night texture and laid over the highway. Then the picture is flattened to eliminate the layers and the original image, and resampled as normal. For any parkland or unlit areas, I simply cut out the area and replace with black.This gives pretty good results and is, most of all, quick and easy.Here is a shot of Gulfport:http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3d3fefa445ad9c58.jpgBest regards.Luis

you use a mask of a ? for any character position that should remain unchanged. Example: current file names are bobSu.bmp, CobSu.bmp, and fobSu.bmp....You want them to be boblm.bmp, Coblm.bmp, and foblm.bmpthe dos command is:ren ???Su.bmp ???lm.bmp

Bob,My problem is that the download will become too big with double textures. So I aske here: What happens if only a few textures are night textures?with two INFs You get 2 BGLs. I assume You only use the BGL made with 'season=lightmap'.How big is Your scenery? Textures x textutes and MB?DOS-renaming and make edges look irregular is clear.What is about additional autogen scenery? That should look fine at night.And what abour dot-lines? Did You test that?Sorry I have no time to test all myself in the moment.Take care Pit

File size is a problem. It was said (maybe in this thread even) that we can see night textures without the other seasons (and again, I assume, we still need to include the withseasons=1 switch) so that reduces the overall size, but if even include just two main bmps to slice is too much then we need to get creative.Now I'm just brainstorming....We know that our textures are limited to LOD13 grids. So we are dealing with a large number of grids, perhaps for discussion lets say 20 grids. the last one I did of that size, with all seasons, was about 8mb. My idea here is to realize that we should be able to make a bgl to cover just one grid and have only one texture, right? I haven't actually tried that, but I have made one as small as 2 grids once. For sake of understanding my thinking, lets assume you made 20 bgls for your 4x5 grid of LOD13 blocks, each with only 2 textures, one for night, one for day. Now you could clearly have the second texture where you wanted it, and not have it other places. So, to employ this better, why not analyze your layout vs where you really want night textures, and determine the biggest rectangles you can make with night tex and without. This will determine how many different infs/slice sets/and textures you must have. If you use the same image as a source file for each inf file, and simply redefine the nw corner and number of pixels w and h to a subset of the file, it feels like you could make the different sections join seemlessly. It would take some experiementing to get this sweet, but once you figure it out, you could use that knowledge for ever.Bob B

Pit, I got into that idea and overlook other questions you askded...the bgl I use is the initial main one...by default its the summer bgl. My estimate of 8mb was after zipping...forgot to say that...I think it expanded to 15mb or so.Autogen has worked fine most everywhere. Exclude bgls will exclude autogen and once in a while autogen does not get displayed. I haven't figured out what the other factor is, I am privately sharing some of my work in development, and some folks tell me that one such case (at Harvey field) the autogen displays fine, but on my machine it stops displaying along a north south line. I haven't tried dot lines, don't see why it wouldn't work, I just haven't tried it. I'll experiment with my idea tonight. I've been wanting to nail this down for a different reason. I am working on all my fs2000 Washington state scenerys, and of course, I'm putting photo ground around all of them. Just two nights ago, it occurred to me that my Monroe and Harvey Field airports are close enough together that I should just go ahead and do photoreal scenery patch that's big enough for both. So I'm doing that, which is cool for flying at my house. But distribution may be harder. The airport macros alone create a fair sized file, with only their share of full season terrain, its now huge, and having both airports in one distribution becomes huge x 2. So a way to have them seemlessly appear to share the same phototerrain while in truth having a seam is one idea of interest.Cheers,Bob B

Bob,Your Brainstorming is to feel here.But I think, is it possible You show me what You are talking of?I have packed a part of LAF scenery to about 3 x 2MB. That are 32x32=1024 summer-textures. That is about 40x40Km. See the images of the lake on my page. If You want to see how that works, send me a mail.Pit

Hi Pit, my intial idea had a flaw, but its not the end, just needs a different thinking. I'll work on it over the weekend. If it works, I'll work on a better description of it. Sorry it didn't make perfect sense to you. B