Sign in to follow this  
LuisFelizTirado

Help for a newbie

I've read the post about "Water everywhere but not a drop to drink" and I have followed Bob's steps but have had no success with getting anything to show up in FS. I actually used FSTerrainCalculator so I guess I was lying in the above sentence. First I just used the inf that the calculaotr provided and then ran resample on that manually thru a command prompt. I got 3 texture files and a .tmf file. I then ran tmf2bgl and got the bgl. I then converted the textures to DXT1. So I have a scenery folder with the requisite scenery and texture folders inside. I place the bgl in scenery and the textures in texture...blah blah blah. Once added in FS I get nothing but the default stuff. So Itried using the TerrainCalculator to do it all. I ended up with 6 texture files this time! Why the difference? So I went through all the above bgl and folder and texture business again and alas, nothing in FS.I am redoing (in Airport) the area this photo scenery test is going into so there are excludes around it, but should that make a difference? I would think these textures would have priority as long as they are given such in the library...which they are. That didn't make much sense. Sorry. It boils down to this question..."Would an exclude area exclude this new photo scenery?"What am I doing wrong...

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Please print your .inf file, along with your expectations for the latitude and longitude of your northwest corner. Also I need your size of source file in pixels.Excludes eliminate all scenery below them in the library database. Put your excludes in the same dir as the phototerrain bgl.Bob Bernstein

Bob,here's the INF:;------------------------------------------------------------------; This file is generated using 'FS-Terrain Calc'-Software.; FS-Terrain Calc Ver 0.40 © 2002 Jari Kaskelin;------------------------------------------------------------------;; Source BMP File; ---------------; Name = 'C:WINDOWSDesktopUsaPhoto MapsScreen.bmp'; BMP File Dimensions; Width = 1024; Height = 728; Reference Point in BMP File; X-Coordinate = 204 ; Y-Coordinate = 532 ; Source BMP Resolution; 4.000 x 4.000 m/pixel;; Real World; ----------; Reference Point; Latitude = N35.800000; Longitude = W78.800000; Reference Point Correction Offset; North-South: None; West-East: None; Covered Area; 4.096 km x 2.912 km = 11.9 Sq. km; 2.212 NM x 1.572 NM = 3.5 Sq. NM; Top-Left; Lat = 35.819152 Lon = -78.809055; Bottom-Right; Lat = 35.798236 Lon = -78.763603[Destination]DestDir = "D:FS_Terrain_WorkScreen"DestBaseFileName = "Screen"UseSourceDimensions = 1[source]Type = CUSTOMSourceDir = "C:WINDOWSDesktopUsaPhoto Maps"SourceFile = "Screen.bmp"Lat = 35.819152Lon = -78.809055CellXdimensionDeg = 0.000044CellYdimensionDeg = 0.000036SampleIsCentered = 1NumOfCellsPerLine = 1023NumOfLines = 727ScaleinMeters = 1.000000The reference point I used in the Calculator was just the corner of a runway. I don;t really know what the NW lat long would be. I just want something to show up before I get really detailed. The source file is a 24-bit bmp file that is 1024 x 728. Is that the problem?Thanks in advance...

no, 24bit color is fine for source...don't know why your num of cells and numoflines is off by one from the source file, but unlikely to be a problem.ok, that looks okhow big are your slices before dxt conversion and after dxt conversion...see if they are something like 193kb and 43kb respectively.did you convert screen.tmf to bgl using tmf2bgl.exe?did you put the resulting bgl file in a scenery directory?did you put the dxt 43kb files in a texture directory?did you spell scenery and texture correctly?did you add the area in fs2k2?these are common causes of no displayBest,bob

Bob,Everything looked OK from where I stood (put a big check by those questions). So I tried to go through the process again and for some reason, everything worked! I have no idea what (or if) I did anything differently but there you have it. Now my main focus is to do a larger area and get those slices. Then I am going to attempt to "redo" some default textures and save them as the slice names and put in the scenery folder. Will this work? I don't want to use the photo image I have because it is badly out of date, and I don't have the paint skills to make the thng look very good anyway!Thanks so much for your help...I will probably be bugging this forum for the days to come.

<I'm not sure, never tried that....I don't quite see the point, since the default is there before you add anything, but I probably didn't really understand.Please report if you find something like this works, could be useful.B

Bob,Here's what I mean (I want pretend to be the creator of this idea...rhumbaflappy gave me the jolt):And he quoted:"You can use a satellite bitmap, and resample.exe, to get the 'slices' and BGL for your area. These slices are texture bitmaps, with cryptic names, that are the replacements for the ground tiles. Usually, they don't blend into the default scenery very well... But you can use these 'slices' ( and their cryptic filenames ) as a template for your own custom groundtiles... make copies of similar-looking default ground textures, or use top-down screenshots of the default terrain, alter them, draw on them. Then rename, and replace, these altered default bitmaps as the cryptic slice filenames. It will be a cross between photoreal and default, and should blend in pretty good. Problems will be encountered due to the format of the bitmaps, but M$ provided imagetool for that purpose."I don't know if it will work, but I will try! Do you happen to know a good way for me to find the textures that I might use? Since they are all DXT1 bitmaps, I can't get a preview just by selecting it in explorer. I'd have to open up each one in a image program and that would most likely (definitely) be a large hassle. Almost not worth my thin patience at this point!Thanks for all your help.

I couldn't swear to it, but I suspect he was referring to a technique I'd described previously, in which I take slices and alter them, but I don't really replace them with default. Rather, I'll take a slice and add some default texture on to it. I do that by taking a screen shot of the area without my scenery active, close enough to show the biggest mip, and then adding that image as a layer over the slice, then using a feather on my masking tool, I'll carve it to suggest a natural border.Here's an example from my upcoming Bowerman Field:

Yep,Thats exactly what he is talking about. He said you were the man to ask about this. What Paint program are you using. I am using PhotoShop. I was doing pretty much the same thing you were doing:1. Get a slice into PhotoShop.2. Make a new image 256 x 256 or whatever3. Paste a screenshot or snippet of texture in it.4. Add a layer to the slice5. Copy paste the texture to that layer (opacity 0%).6. Draw a mask wherever I want the texture to be7. Then adjust the opacity so that the texture only shows up in the selected area.Is there a much better (faster) way than this? Great tecnique though! I think this will look good...like your examples.

I forgot,What is the best way, you have found, to take a screen shot and keep things the same size/scale? Thanks

it sounds like you do the same essential steps. I constantly vary what I do when I think of some enhancement, but nothing stands out to suggest. I pretty much use "top down" view, and just make sure that the mips are the biggest in the default. But scale, its not generally an issue because we're talking about pretty much generic imagry. I've never bothered with scaling, and never noticed a problem. I use photoshop and corel photopaint, I prefer photopaint for many things, but I still use them both. Photoshop works better with really big images, it seems that photopaint is a little less efficient but with small images it makes no diff. B

Bob,I'm going to ask you directly but also post in the scenery forum:Do you know how to find out what specific textures are used for an area? This is probably a lost cause because all that info would be in the bgl files for the associated scenery, but I am having a hard time getting textures to match up. For example, I am just trying to place a forest texture on one of my slices that is adjacent to a forest texture in FS. I have searched through the WORLD texture directory and came up with a bunch of forest textures but none of them are a match for the default scenery. Am I asking too much here?Thanks for your help

I gave up trying that, if you find it let me know! That's why I use screen shots.B

Just on the "Previewing Textures" question.TView is a thumbnail viewing program that will view virtually all image formats (and certainly all FS formats) incorporating an Explorer-style folder browser. Useful for seeing just what textures FS hashttp://fly.to/mwgfx/

It must be pointed out that Martin Wright has many excellent and very useful utilities on his page, among them ConvIm, which will let you view all the dxt textures and immediately convert them to normal bitmaps.His DXTBmp will also allow you to convert and easily edit the textures in your image editing software.As to the default forest textures, the Terrain SDK documentation contains a list of all the textures. Forest is 019 through 028. Take a look at the list - very useful.Best regards.Luis