Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mark Hazeldine

How do i slice my image?

I have a large image (11264x5632pixels) of London Heathrow that i was going to use with Terrabuilder until i realised that up to a third of will not appear because it doesn't fit neatly into the LOD grid! ARGH! So i want to chop it up and make 1024x1024pix texpolys in Groundmaker 3 (a bit like Gary Summons did with his Heathrow). I thought about using terrabuilders "cut image level x" function but it reduces the res or make squares too small (256x256). This would take a long time to stich them into 1024x1024 squares. Is there any program that can cut my image quickly into 1024x1024 squares?Thanks for your help!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hello,I found a verrrry nice program on http://www.aphexx.de called Aphexx' Image Splitter. It works fine and it let you chose the size of the slice (for instance 512/512 or 1024/1024 ... or 512/1024 ... or what ever you want). I don't know if there is a limit in the original image size but the only trouble is that the resultant BMP is in 32 bit.And the most spectacular is that it verrrrrrrry faaaaaast !!!!! Above all, it's a freeware.I had the same problem as you and this save me.

Thankyou verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry much!!!BTW how do i run this thing? its called ais.ace. windows doesn't know what application to open it with because it doesn't recognise the extension .ace.

It 's ok i worked it out. I downloaded it from another site and it works now.

HI:*.ace is a type of file.Search in the Internet web *.ace ypu

Ohh. OK, thanks. Well i tried it and it works.

Mark,TerraBuilder's "Cut Image" options are NOT to be used with FS200x. This was a pre-historic :-) option for FS98, when FS worked without mip-enabled bitmaps. This was an archaic mip-mapping method.I am not sure why such a large image that you're working with is making you problems - at such a size and (assuming you have it neatly at 4.8 m/pix) only the fringe edges are likely not to fit neatly into LODs. You probably do not have it resized to 4.8 m/pix resolution, and this is giving you a false sense of scale.Misho

No its not at 4.8pix/m, its at 5.4 metres/pixel!!!! This image is just of the airport. It is very high resolution as you can see. I've made it work with texpolys, but the image distorts when viewed from large angles: i.e 3 degree glide slope. This means on approach it is just a blur until you get very close.