Sign in to follow this  
Guest misho

nighttextures

hi I've got a problem with nighttextures. I can't see anything! My normal textures are placed correctly but the nightones doesn't work. what kind of procedures can i do with the original textures that they can be seen in fs2002? Thanks for help Devon

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Devon,I never tested night-textures. But I think so, You need a reasmple-night-BGL. If You copy some default night-textures with area related names into texture-folder, You will see.I am looking for a way making night-lights (night-textures) without blowing up the textrure-folder so much, like my night-screenshot atwww.petercie.deAnd I look for people working at the same problem.Peter

According to some older posts in this forum, it is possible to have a proper night illumination by running the INF file manually (or creating a separate project with lightmap texture) and inserting "season=lightmap" line into the inf file. I will test this and if it works, make it a TerraBuilder feature.Misho

hi misho, first many thanks to you for your program.It's very cool!The way to write season=lightmap works great, but i can't see the textures either! I don't know what the problem is. My normal textures i changed with photoshop in brightness and contrast and put some default nighttextures over it with transperence, but they aren't shown at night! i've converted the textures to dxt1, too!And they are in the same folder as the normal textures only with *.*LM. Please help me i got a headache!Thanks Devon

Did you also have a switch "withseasons=1" ?I don't know if that makes any difference...That's why I have to test it. But people are getting results...

The line in your destination section of your inf file must read:withseasons=1You need to submit a seperate bmp source file (and of course write a seperate inf file to call that source file) which contains the image for night. This must be the same as your main source file in every way exept the filename. Using the line seasons=lightmap should name those slices with the lm tag, if not you must do that seperately.Some folks say you must have ALL 5 seasons also present for any to display, others assert that you only need summer and night to see night. I always assumed you needed all seasons, so I've always provided them. It will be nice to find that you don't need this. Bob Bernstein

Bob,Did you ever try to have TWO (or more) sources in the inf file? The terrain SDK permits that (according to the docs) but when using CUSTOM type, resampler chokes for some reason.Two (or more) sources would be ideal for me because I could have a daytime and nightime (and all seasons) source sections in the same inf file.

I have tried but it did not work. Even if it did, however, this is not a useful notion for you...the output of two source files in one inf is still one set of texture slices. The output needed here is TWO sets of texture files. (or 6 sets of files, given the possible need of other seasons).B

Are you sure of that?Every Source section has its own source bitmap specifier. If there is a season=lightmap switch in one of them, I would imagine it would produce an extra set of textures named LM.

well.. I haven't gotten it to work so I'm not positive, perhaps reveiwing the output of the mesh example will answer this.B

In any case, it would be sweet if it did work, because I have TB set up to add/delete sections already. I'll do some research into this.

Misho, aren't you already having the inf file creation and resample process go on behind the gui? Why is it hard to have the user click a box stating that there will be night imagry, and supply the image for night. You'll require the image for night match the pixel count of the main image. If it doesn't make an error message happen. The click in the box activates conditional code that knows to run resample the second time, and where to put the slices.Since the user has supplied the different source files and their file name, what is the problem with having your code run resample.exe twice. You'll automatically have a temp location determined to store the slices from each that your commandline control of fstexconvert understands and proceeds to convert with the appropriate suffixes. The user never has to know that's what's happening, and you aren't asking anything more than you would with any other approach...unless you had some ideas on how to save the user the trouble of contributing a night image....course even then, if you had some auto feature, you could still do all I suggest.You want to have this ability anyway, so that you can have water right...you know this is done with an alpha channel...did you have a plan for this? I would imagine the coolest approach would be to give the user a selection tool (too hard to program?). Within the main image, I use the TB selection tool, and select the water area. Your code knows to translate the selection onto a brand new source file, the user never even knows gets created. This source file is hard coded to paint the inside of the selection black and the outside white. Another check box is "has water"...which sends you to write a Third inf file on a third source file, the alpha. a third location holds those slices, and fstexconvert is run automatically from command line access to create dxt1+alpha slices.Seems straightforward to me.B

You are completely correct on all the points.The reason I'd like to have different sections is simple - clarity. That would be the proper way to do it and I think that's what the sections were intended for. It would neatly wrap a whole project - but if they don't work, I can easily do (and I will) what you suggest.