Sign in to follow this  
Guest misho

US TerraBuilder Users

I am asking if anyone who has sucess with TerraBuilder making scenery for the US area, if they would provide others with some tips building scenery. Some things like best source for photo's, steps involved once photo's are obtained to produce scenery. Anything they could provide to help others produce and upload for others.Richard L Hill;

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

In fact, US Area designers are blessed with te best resources availability on the globe. Nearly all continental US is covered with aerial imagery of various quality, which of course needs to be stitched together and colorized in most cases.The best site to obtain aerial imagery for the continental US is: http://edcsns17.cr.usgs.gov/EarthExplorer/You can log in as guest and dynamically browse using a map. The previews of the images are available for free and are of reasonable resolution (approximately 7 meters/pixel)I am preparing a tutorial which will have a "fast" and "detailed" paths to designing a scenery and it will be available cincurrent with the new version ofthe TB.

The link Misho provided is the source I used to use also, before I discovered terraserver:http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/This site provides already mosaiced versions of the same images from the usgs site, AND you can freely download high resolution versions. I use 4m/pixel resolution, and then resample it to 4.8 before applying it to the resample.exe util.If you read this and the scenery design forum, you'll find post after post that details out different folks approach to coloring images and applying them using either terrabuilder or the msoft tools directly.Best,Bob Bernstein

Bob;First of all thanks for the reply. I have been a Terraserver user for many years, long before coverage of the entire United States was available. Now I have to read and double read (my memory never was that great and now it is getting even less). I was a loayal FS user from back ti FS1, untill FS2000, that I totally despised. I have been using Fly! from its birth, but am losing interest in it. I am very impressed with FS2002's new features and want to develope my entire state of West Virginia portions of OH, PA, VA, KY, all of MD, and as I have for Fly! Now I have to figure out how many TerraServer immages to use prior to slicing and so on. I would be greatful for any assistance you can provede. I will do some searching for suggestions and hints, and hope the tutorial for Terrabuilder is released soon, and others will provide other documentation to assist us.If you want to send me any suggestions please do so.richardlhll@wmconnect.comAgain Thank Yopu;Richard L Hill

Bob,Yes, the TerraServer has been a staple of imagery. My biggest beef with it is that it is black and white. I see that they let you download imagery without any restrictions - they used to make you purchase it, and they also had this annoying system where you were actually prevented of taking a screenshot and extracting an image that way! I guess they didn't get many purchases so they are offering it for free now!They also had other parts of the world covered, but I guess they yanked that out as well!

Bob;I have had some sucess tith colorizing in the past, most of which is almost color photograph quality. Once you get the hues and tints close to true you can produce some rather good results.Richard L Hill;

Misho, u get color images from the usgs site? I played a bit with the color images from mapquest, but I had to work MUCH harder to get the overly purple hues toned down, than when I start from scratch. I'm happiest now to just start with b/wB

I'd be happy to advise, my first suggestion is to practice in a small area. File sizes get big fast, until we learn more from MS, we are facing a lock on the coverage and resolution for photoimagry. The largest area covered by a phototexture (256x256 file) is an LOD13 Grid. Read the fs2000 terrain sdk for definition, but its not a large area. For my local sceneries which provide terrain for an approach area for vfr I get up to 100 textures. Thats just for day, multiply that number by 6 if you want to have full seasons plus night. Doing several states would require a CD jukebox!Start with a small area and develop your systems also, your naming of folders and steps you take....with any project as immense as you are suggesting, you'll go nuts unless you have your methods down pat.Bob B

I have nailed down a method in Photoshop that gets them down to the right hues in a jiffy! You can even record a macro of all the actions and play it back on each image. Works pretty good! Once in a while you get a totally off one which needs a special attention.

Sure:PhotoShop 6.oImage->Adjust->Auto COntrastImage->Adjust->Hue/Saturation->Reds:Hue:120Sat:-50Lightness:0Works pretty much for me - I did it on a northern California set of color images. Might be slightly different for others, but a simple adjustment should yield the right values.