Sign in to follow this  

Producing night textures

I nailed down a very easy and affective method of "lighting up" the night versions of textures. You will need a Photoshop in order to achieve this. I will produce a small tutorial on this, but in the mean time, anyone wants a quick run-down on this?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Yes. Making the night textures is the worst part. Until now i have prefered this metod: taking the summer picture then adjusted the colors to bright orange/yellow - then darkened the pic about 60 - 80% - then i darken even more the areas where there are no streets or buildings. Example of the city of Kristiansund, Norway:I am not satisfied with this method, but it is time saving...I use paintshop pro ver.7 for this.

OK, here is a quick rundown:First of all, your method is good, but I don't think you need to do what you do. During dusk, FS2002 mixes daytime and nighttime texture and the result is quite convincing. Night texture should be nearly pitch black with bright points of light where needed.This method needs Photoshop. I use Photoshop 6.0 - I used to use 5.0 and there was a feature that would let you do this on a separate layer level, but for some reason this is not possible any longer in 6.0. Almost like they cut on the features in 6.0 - go figure.So:Open you DAYTIME image in PhotoshopUse: Image->Adjust->Hue/SaturationUse Lightness slider and slide down to a value of -80 to -95,whatever you prefer. This is how bright your image will be at night. It shouldn't be completely pitch black because this method won't work.Select white color.Select Airbrush tool, with a "fuzzy" shape, size ~35, pressure ~50%,Mode Color Dodge (very important)Spray on a little bit onto the image. You will see that the darkened image brightens up where you spray, as if someone is shining light on it. For an "amber" light effect used on the parking lots and airports, use SLIGHTLY yellowish hue in the white color of the brush.Keep doing this along settled areas and along highways. Don't overdo it. Spraying a little on the roads gives the effect of cars travelling, much like the default FS2002 textures.By making a brush size smaller, you can pop in a fed dots for points of light.

Thanks Misho.can i use paintshop 7 for this? I am well familiar with it and i understand the layer-function. What i wonder is "mode color dodge".Please explain.Opland

Opland,Sorry, "Dodge" color mode is exclusive to Photoshop. I am not sure what the equivalent would be in PSP, if any.

Thankyou Misho. Photoshop and the method you describe here makes the best nighttextures i have ever seen!. Suberb. Almost an "before and after experience" for me.....Opland