Sign in to follow this  
Guest Francis

Transparency around the main texture

Hello,I finally solved the problem with the texture I see now the whole terrain, I created a new file double size the texture I

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

You made the wrong assumption: :-)There is no way to make it transparent. We know this for sure because even the add-on Microsoft scenery of Oshkosh BLENDED the components of the surrounding default textures into the custom ones on the edges of the scenery coverage.The reason for this is that the add-on scenery does NOT sit on top of the default scenery, it completely REPLACES the default textures. So, there are no default textures to be "seen through" the alpha holes.Alpha texture is used to create default water surfaces.

Ohhhhh :-(Sad to hear that, so if I want to use this tecnique to put a real airport photo just below the airport there is not way to do it, I should do it with the Photo Wizard option, isn

Of course there is a way to do it. The trick is only to blend the edges into the default textures so that the edges are as invisible as possible.One way to do it:Make your sceneryActivate it in FS2002Go to SLEW modeGo to MAP mode (overhead view) or STRAIGHT DOWN viewSet zoom level to closely match the default texture sizePosition your view on the "problem" edgeTake a snapshotDe-activate YOUR sceneryTake another snapshot (this is now a default scenery snapshot)Now you have 2 images.Put them into 2 layers in PSP or Photoshop.Use erase on image with your scenery edge to reveal the default texture underneath. Erase the sharp edge and blend in your image and default. Cut this area and carefully paste it into your original image.Presto! A bit time consuming but it should work! But it is a labor of love, isn't it? ;-)

Hi there,We were thinking almost the same, I was putting right now the Top view to make a texture and to fill all around with that, but your trick is much better, there I go.The work doesn

Hi Francisco.There is a way to "decal" a mesh-clinging transparency containing bitmap onto the scenery:http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/DCForumID10/859.htmlThis allows a "backdoor" approach to photoreal. Using a TMF-CFS2-style shore segment, you can place any portion of a bitmap onto any portion of an LOD13 area... so there's no reason an entire LOD13 area could not be designated as a line segment, and apply a resampled texture ( with transparent parts ) onto the area.The smiley face of the above example was a 256 X 256 bitmap with a transparent background... 8 bit with alpha channel. I would assume a DXT3 bitmap, with alpha, could also be used. The area was an entire LOD13 area.Why doesn't Microsoft use this technique? They don't know about it! No one ever did it before.:)

Hi,Thanks for the info and images but hand programming goes beyond my mind :-(Is TB able to do this?One more question, I cannot enter the fsnordic web site, just to download the FSTerrainCalc utility by Jari Kaskelin.Thanks.Francisco

Hi Francisco.You've now done resampling, and part of the photo has not resampled.You've also told me you don't like the idea of using/learning BGLC coding.Unfortunately, I think your photo does not completely cover the LOD13 quadrants. That's why some of it is cut off. Don't give up!You need to add a border area to the photo BMP.1) If you can find a photo that covers more territory, you can use that. 2) Alternately, you could paste the photo BMP onto a larger screen area... then after the resampling, but before the' 'DXTing' of the slices , you could paste portions of default ground textures onto the needed slices. You've already got the slices, so you need to find the correct ground textures to use for pasting in the missing Black parts. tlassiter has done some work that would resemble this approach. Search the threads for tlassiter.3) Also, I think bob5568 has suggested taking a top-down screenshot of an area that will be larger than your photo's immediate area. Then paste the photo BMP onto the screenshot BMP. Then resample the "enlarged" and merged BMP. Search the threads for bob5568. The screenshot would have to be near the right zoomlevel to approximate the zoomlevel of your photo... you could get that by actually creating a traditional style runway BGL of the exact length of the area's real runway. Then zoom until the runway is near the size of the photo bmp. That should get you close, and resizing within a paint program would then get you "spot on". Then paste the photo bitmap onto the screenshot's bitmap, right over the image of the traditional runway.That would certainly add enough border to your photo to allow complete resampling of the airfield, and may allow some fancy blending into the default terrain, with the paint program. Why not experiment along those lines, if BGLC coding is not the way for you? You could start by resampling a screenshot of the area, and see if the slices can be visually merged into the default groundtiles after resampling. Slew to the area, position yourself to North ( spacebar ), and take a screenshot ( Alt-PrintScreen key combo ). Paste the screenshot clip into a paint program. The screenshot will have the traditional runway on it for a great reference.If you get a good result, you could then paste in the airfield... or needed parts of the airfield. You may need to resize things to get the right fit, but if it works, you could blend-in the field before resampling ( a great advantage ). Done right, this could visually blend right into the default groundtile textures. If nobody messes with the landclass of the area, the result could be nearly seamless.But note: as with all resampling, each season will need it's own slice sets.If all this works well, why not write a tutorial on how to use screenshots and undersized photos in resampling?:-beerchug Dick