Sign in to follow this  
Guest misho

Hold Everything! :-)

Terrain SDK 2002 has been released by Microsoft. There is a clear example of the Niagara Scenery included, and I am now studying the process. There are a few new switches in INF file. This will delay the release of new TerraBuilder, but not by a whole lot.Stay tuned,

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

After a brief glance, here is the scoop:Nothing new. As a matter of fact, we have anticipated everything that is now official, and the current TerraBuilder setup is ready for this.This is good news!One small change:"withseasons" flag is now "buildseasons"One funny thing is, they included 4 seasons and a water map (alpha channel) but not a single mention of how to use this.Also I was reminded that "resampler.exe" can take multiple INF files with source/destination pairs and process them into a single TMF file.Also, they are now saying that, instead of being discarded, RESAMPLER now adds black areas to the textures that partially cover LOD segments. This is potentially good news...Stay tuned,Misho

I found all that was discussed, don't remember right now which one...

why would black borders be "good news"....yuck in my opinion...each to their own I suppose....B

Misho, the comment was subtle, but it clearly said that the buildseasons did not color your textures for you, color "tinting" would still be needed. It appears like it doesn't really do anything except put the hooks into the bgl to call the seasons, just like we do already.Bob B

>Misho, the comment was subtle, but it clearly said that the >buildseasons did not color your textures for you, color >"tinting" would still be needed. It appears like it doesn't >really do anything except put the hooks into the bgl to call >the seasons, just like we do already. >>Bob B I agree, but I never assumed that the seasonal textures would be generated "on the fly" in the resampler, and that'swhat I think they referred to. You still need to tweak the colors and save a separate bmp file for each season, BUT, and I certainly hope this will be the case, by simply including "BuildSeasons" switch, resampler would look for files named _fa.bmp, _lm.bmp ... etc. and include them in resampling process. This is how Niagara sample seemed to be set up, and if I was a programmer working on resampler.exe, I would certainly takethis approach.