Sign in to follow this  
rhumbaflappy

New SDK - OH WOW!

Folks, I was wrong.a LOT has changed, and for the better! This has radically changed the way I am implementing SDK approach in TerraBuilder. This new SDK has just solved all of my problems I had with the newest version.The new version will be ready on Tuesday, September 3rd, 2002.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hello Misho,As of right now, the SDK has been removed from the Microsoft site.Understandable, as it seems to be missing some parts (i.e., the terraindll for the tmfviewer, as well as three of the Niagara sample textures) and includes the proof version of the Textures document as well as the final. Presumably, Microsoft will release a corrected version soon.Interesting about the "BuildSeasons" switch. I suppose that this only affects the bgl, not the textures. So, probably one must still resample every variant.Also, not "harsh" winter and "mild" winter as was claimed in a previous post.Looking forward to your new version of TerraBuilder.Best regards.Luis

Misho, your post is intriguing, somehow the black borders has helped this much or is it the multiple infs forming one bgl?I wonder, cuz I'm still at the stage of thinking very little of great excitement is newly known...but I may not be recognizing the breakthrus as well as you have.Having a bglc alternative to taximarkings is ok....although the scasm version seemed to directly drive the right op code switches....perhaps again a frame rate advantage to the bglc...not sure.It does promise to offer us the wave effect details in the decals section...that's pretty interesting, although I wasn't losing sleep over it.I was honestly more excited by Rhumbaflappy's tutorial on bglc decals and language, than the sdk....Bob Bernstein

Hi Bob.I'm glad you liked the tutorial... and I'm glad I got it in before the SDKs, because Christian Stock and I will have to rewrite the macros, and that would have delayed the tutorial by a month! Now we can relax and re-do it at leisure.The area I covered in the tutorial is the Land/Water Mask Polygons ( which also covers flattens ). Maybe one or two additions to that area of the macros, some renaming, changing the number types in the macros. Still, we pretty much got it all. FS2002 will get rid of the CFS2-style references, as the non-flattened water was already indicated by a iHeight value of -9999. Interesting that CFS2-style is a legacy in the terrain engine, and may yield a trick or two.Once Christian gets familiar with the SDKs, he'll be able to finish his BGL decompiler, and that will be a huge help to everyone.I have a feeling the resampler is more complete, and may yield a few surprises. I believe it resamples directly to a bgl file (?), also the "NullCellValue" may actually work as a "transparency" for mesh, high-LOD mesh portions with low-LOD mesh in the same bgl ( the MtRainier example never worked before ). WaterClassU8 may be possible. Maybe BSQTEX8 and BMP will work. Maybe MakeBMP will do something new. Regions, Seasons ??As far as CUSTOM ( photoreal ), that black area in the bitmaps may yield something as far as blending. I've been using CUSTOM resampling to give me slices that I use as textures with CFS2-style enlarged ( 256x256 )line segments. Those use alpha for transparency... not water, which allows all kinds of mischief. :)Dick

ok, I see that point....course water would be done with a tmf water/land mask I guess in that case....sheesh, its gettin all mixed up now, huh!B

>Misho, your post is intriguing, somehow the black borders >has helped this much or is it the multiple infs forming one >bgl? You are right, the only way those black borders help is that the textures are not dropped from the incompletely filled LODs. They say that in order to avoid the black borders, you can specify the extents of the resample in hte destination section. I didn't test this, but it just might work. >I wonder, cuz I'm still at the stage of thinking very little >of great excitement is newly known...but I may not be >recognizing the breakthrus as well as you have. Read on those in my latest post...>>I was honestly more excited by Rhumbaflappy's tutorial on >bglc decals and language, than the sdk.... I don't agree - decals canot be used to replace large areas, because the default scenery is still under the one on top, so you are basically doubling the amount of textures for that area. The right approach is to REPLACE the default textures. Decals would sure be perfect for edges, though.

Hi Misho.The CFS2-style expanded line segments do write over the default scenery... and that's what I refered to above.However, I believe the FS2002 decal polygons replace the underlying ground textures. In fact, they have all the attributes of the default ground including autogen of the correct type for that new texture.It could be possible to use resampled slices of a photoreal scenery as guides to place TMF decals that would have seasons, autogen, and blend 100% into the default scenery... and the SDKs indicate you'd have a choice to exclude the streams, shores and roads. This is not much different than what Bob Bernstein and tlassiter have been doing... just takes it up a notch, and allows the designer to place as many or as few textured polys as he wants... with little framerate hit, and no harddrive storage problems, as the default textures and atuogens can be used.Dick

>However, I believe the FS2002 decal polygons replace >the underlying ground textures. In fact, they have all the >attributes of the default ground including autogen of the >correct type for that new texture. So, if the decal AND the default texture are visible, and there is only one texture, then the new texture must be a merged combination of the two sources. And whatever compiles this thing does the merging as well. That would be pretty cool! That would definitely be the way to go!I'd say that the autogen is simply inherited from the default texture. System has no way of knowing what exacly is in the custom texture. For instance, if you palced a small clearing with a soccer field in the middle of the forest, does autogen clearthe trees from that area and it is up to you to assign new autogen properties?

Hi Misho.What I'm refering to is the Method2 ground polygon ( VTP ), as described in the SDK. This type of shape will display not only the texture ( replacing the landclass default) but will display it's own autogen, just like a landclass default texture, if you use one of MS's ground textures.A single LOD13 ( Data area ), may have a number of different shapes and textures, each with their own autogen.I haven't gotten as far as using Method1 or Method2 with custom textures, but that is possible, and probably will show a custom autogen if it exists in a local texture folder... However, the autogen may be lost for the rest of the Data area, or Cell ( LOD8 area ), as autogen likes to be found in 'C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFS2002SCENEDBWORLDTexture'. I know if you use custom landclass textures locally, you must copy all autogens to the texture folder, or loose them for the LOD5 area.We'll know the rules to follow for autogen in a few weeks.Dick

Hi Misho.I'm sorry... I was refering to a Method1 ( not Method2 ) VTP.Method1 carries the default Autogen with the referenced texture.Here's a screenshot of a pond, with a Method1 VTP altering the area around the pond, and the autogen shrubs popping up... but only in the VTP ( decal ) area. The rest of the Sahara remains dry.