Sign in to follow this  
rhumbaflappy

For everyone that was wondering why I am so excited:

First of all, I juped the gun yesterday: I saw what MS intended to do, but when I ran the software, It didn't produce the expected result. Obviously, since the SDK has been "pulled off" the MS site, they realized it too, and I'm happy about that!Let me explain what I meant:Niagara sample included 7 source files: 5 seasonal, 1 lightmap and 1 water mask. After a bit of shuffling around, I got the BAT file to resample the whole thing into all seasonal versions AND a lightmap, PLUS, the batch feedback from ImageTool suggested that the Alpha image was used to process water surfaces as well.All that was done by specifying a SINGLE line in the Destination block of INF file: "BuildSeasons". This led me to believe that the resampler.exe followed a naming convention rule, where, if you specified _su.bmp as a source AND "BuildSeasons" switch, resampler would seek _sp.bmp_fa.bmp_wi.bmp_hw.bmp_watermask.bmp_lm.bmpand build all the neccessary files from the sources above. This would be great: There would be only ONE Source section and the whole process would be greatly simplified. When I ran the setup, sure enough, there were textures created for all the seasons and the Imagetool seemed to report usage of the ALPHA channel, but, alas, all texures that were created were the SAME! Only the _su.bmp was used for all the sources.I REALLY REALLY HOPE MS REALIZED THIS AS WELL AND THIS IS WHY THEY PULLED THE SDK OFF THEIR WEB SITE AND ARE FIXING THIS NOW.Other nice things: TMF creation is skipped. Resampler goes directly to BGL. Good, one step less. I think this is only the case for CUSTOM type.We'll have to wait it out and see.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I see, well from a development perspective I see your point...and it would a mild improvement for anyone, but not worth much excitement. Certainly not enough help for me that I'd be willing to start dealing with black borders.Their solution, to specify the edge extents is not acceptable to me, because I like to place large tracts of photoreal to support an airport design project. The MOST important georeference for me, therefore is the runway scar/runway which is the key interface between my macros and my photoreal. Thus I'd rather use my two point technique for inserting extents, it comes out nearly perfect every time, and I'm somehow intuitively sensing extra work to replace the black sections with extra imagry.I can already set up my seasons quickly, just by doing it manually. A bat file is simple to run the ren ???????????????Su.bmp ???????????????wi.bmp...etc. commands. What value is there in build seasons if you need to recolor every texture? may as well rerun resample.exe for each season, and with season=winter command, you get the naming automatic anyway.Bob Bernstein

>I see, well from a development perspective I see your >point...and it would a mild improvement for anyone, but not >worth much excitement. Certainly not enough help for me >that I'd be willing to start dealing with black borders. From what little they mentioned, I was under impression that when the black borders are added to fill the LODs, the extents get expanded. But, in the Destination section, specifying the destination extents to the image's original would then omit the black areas. I wouldn't bet my money on that one, though.>Their solution, to specify the edge extents is not >acceptable to me, because I like to place large tracts of >photoreal to support an airport design project. The MOST >important georeference for me, therefore is the runway >scar/runway which is the key interface between my macros and >my photoreal. Thus I'd rather use my two point technique >for inserting extents, it comes out nearly perfect every >time, and I'm somehow intuitively sensing extra work to >replace the black sections with extra imagry. Again, black sections would be only arounf the edge. This deals wit hte problem of "dropped" edges due to the fact that edges of the imagery do not fill the LODs completely.>>I can already set up my seasons quickly, just by doing it >manually. A bat file is simple to run the ren >???????????????Su.bmp ???????????????wi.bmp...etc. commands.Well, this is OK for us who are into it. But what about a user who does not want to get into the nitty gritty of it? I'm trying to have everything done with one click - that would be ideal. > What value is there in build seasons if you need to recolor >every texture? may as well rerun resample.exe for each >season, and with season=winter command, you get the naming >automatic anyway. What value? Nothing comes closer to the reality than custom-colorised seasons. I'm not sure how you would get around making a photorealistic scenery of the area that has distinct seasonal changes. Only the source image needs to be adjusted, and this is altogether not such a huge undertaking... it's just a matter of selecting particular colors and adjusting the tint to reddish or brownish hues. The size of the scenery (5-fold increase), well, that's another matter :-(

<>you misunderstood me...I didn't mean I thought that seasons had no value, I'm talking about the new buildseasons command having no value.I'm just realizing that buildseasons will force the user to color individual slices, not the main source image. that would be far more painful than coloring 4 main source images.B

Hi Bob,'Scuse me if I chime in. I think the idea behind the buildseasons switch -- or at least Misho's understanding of it -- is that you'd specify a *source* filename, and that resampler would then look for other source bitmaps with the standard seasonal naming convention and go ahead and slice and name them all at once. The main development advantage is just the ability to run resample once and have it do all the seasons. Yes, you'd still have to create original source files for all seasons. The only difference would be that you'd only run resample once, and it'd do them all together. I hope that's true, 'cause it would be a nice addition. But like you said, it still isn't a huge improvement, but a "nice to have".-Bill Womack

>Yes Bob, me and you can do this manually but what misho is >trying is to make a software that others not so tecnically >also can use.... Precisely my point...Awesome, awesome shots!!!

I've downloaded the *NEW* CustomTerrainTexures SDK and it seems that M$ didn't read that post after all.Besides the .BAT file not working at all from "factory" (I had to modify it), the BuildSeasons or WithSeasons switches still don't do what they appear to do. The resampler still generates the texture set, apparently with seasons, but they are all summer.:-hmmm--Daniel R. Careri

Hi Daniel.Yes... the SDK said they would still have to be colored! ( Why wouldn't you color them first... then resample? )If you run your fixed inf ( renaming the BMPs for different seasons each time ), then you'd eventually get your textures, and could rename the endings to match the seasons. What a hassle! But, perhaps Misho could automate that process, so a correct set of textures is combined from different seasonal master bitmaps run through resample.I had hoped a reasonable explanation of how to derive the texture names would be in the SDK. In a few weeks I hope to have a tool for that, so people can substitute custom textures into landclass BGLs.