Sign in to follow this  

It's a dud...

Whatever MS had to add or change in their latest Custom Terrain Texture SDK, they didn't address the most important topics whatsoever - the approach to create scenery that includes seasonal variations, lightmap and alpha (water) textures. They provided source imagery, but no clue as to how to build it. And as it was mentioned by someone earlier in one of the topics, the *.bat AND *.inf files are incorrect (neither "niagara_falls.bmp" nor "niagara.bmp" exist), and files have to be moved around out of their sub-folders to make them work. As it stands right now, you need to run *.inf file 5 times and each time pluck out the seasonal variation you're working on and store it away so that it doesn't overwrite the same files when the next *.inf file is processed.I don't even know why anyone would even use "buildseasons" switch, when only one season is built in 4 versions. For that, an OLD switch, "withseasons" (and "season=" ) is much more useful as it will create only one set of textures. Using that with the new "resample.exe" (that skips the TMF creation altogether) and a multi *.inf file setup, it should be possible to create all seasons, lm and alpha textures in one pass. I will test this tonight, or shortly.Cheers,

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

yep, that's what I was trying to say on 8-30 in the thread below. I guess I didn't express myself well, cuz some folks thought I didn't understand why it would be good to have automated seasonal colors. Its been clear all along that the method hasn't been changed...we pretty much figured this part out properly last winter.Bob B

Bob,I still think they have a bug in their code in resampler. Just think about it - how hard would it be to, when "buildseasons" is encountered, seek the _wi... and the rest of the suffixes in the main bitmap and resample and name the textures appropriately. The resample is doing that now, but not "picking up" the name convention and doing it all on the same texture.

After having read the sdk, looking for seasonal automation, it pretty clearly states the process to be what we've been doing.I agree it would seem simple to program. However, unless you want to automate the colorization process, which I would think would be a HUGE task, then the user will still need to input 5 variants of their source image.I understand from your perspective that additional resample features would be an advantage, but if you were MS and just trying to make 3rd party mods possible, why bother with that step? They may easily figure that anyone going to this level of mod effort would be happy to rerun resample.exe or would be able to write their own bat file for the automation.I wrote a bat file that happily filled in the seasons myself...after using it a few times, I abandoned it, cuz I got a bit confused as I began to make specific texture only edits. It felt like I was making work for myself which was avoidable if I just accepted a bit of re-running of resample.exe.Bob B