Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ron Freimuth

DF Archer Update released...

If this has been posted already, mea culpa!Cheers,

Guest Moghdad

The takeoff is definitely smoother. However, it has picked up a new vice on my system. It pulls strongly to the left. The pre-patch version was very balanced, at least for me. Anyone else?

Guest Twister

Hi,The patch works fine for me - as far as I can tell, the flight model is close to perfect.Indeed, the aircraft pulls to the left whenever full power is applied(i.e. take-off).This is not a vice - this is the way it should be (p-factor, propeller slipstream, torque).The Archer is the most realistic GA aircraft ever created for FS2K2 as far as I'm concerned.Cheers,Twister

Try putting a passenger in.That will balance you out some.

"The Archer is the most realistic GA aircraft ever created for FS2K2 as far as I'm concerned"I will echo, ditto, reiterate, say again, repeat and reinforce that statement.It is a delight to fly this aircraft!

Guest KenG

Rudder trim is your friend for the left roll tendency. Try burning off fuel from the left tank first. Also, check out the weight of passenger. I have several loadouts for each of my repaints with either just myself or with one passenger. I set the weights as they would be in real life. It aggrevates the left roll tendency, so I apply lots of right rudder trim. This is how it would be in real life, although some may feel it is slightly overdone in some ways. However, I would much prefer a plane that behaves like the Archer than one that is so perfectly balanced it needs no attention. From real world experience, I've yet to fly a plane that is as perfect as most of those in flight sims. With most planes, one never needs rudder or aileron trim. IMO, it's nice to have to pay attention to and use ALL the components of the plane.

A huge improvement to what was already a work of art! If only (oh boy, here he goes again...;-)) they could move the yoke in the VC view so it didn't block the tachometer. It sure would be nice to see the tach...but that's the only improvement I can think of.David

Guest Twister

Hi Kathy,I'm glad you like the Archer as much as I do ! Just being curious, do you have any experience with real Archers ? I'm a Cessna driver and tough the flight model "just feels right" I'd like to get the opinion of pilots who are acquainted with this aircraft.Take careTwister

Hi Twister:I have never flown an Archer. Pipers, Cessna, Beach's, et. al. in general yes, but not the Archer. However, I do not believe that my lack of experience in the real Archer discounts my opinion regarding the DreamFleet Archer

I agree with everything said and would add it is the first plane I've seen yet that actually slips and slides more or less like a real plane. Also,(here comes the shameless promotion again!) if you use TrackerIR with the virtual cockpit, the effect is stunning! You get a much better field of view than most models. You feel surrounded by clouds and sky rather than peering through a peephole at the world. Part of that is the low wing and curved windshield but the rest is difficult to put my finger on. I would love to see this kind of fidelity in something just a tad sexier - like a bonanza or even a light twin.David

For the majority of my flight training, I used Archers. Liked the extra horsepower over the Warrior. And yes, I really like this Archer model. Flight dynamics seem very close & the 2D,VC,& exterior graphics really add to the illusion of more than just a computer screen!L.Adamson

Guest Ron Freimuth

>The takeoff is definitely smoother. However, it has picked >up a new vice on my system. It pulls strongly to the left. >The pre-patch version was very balanced, at least for me. >Anyone else? Try checking the 'alt' aircraft.cfg box in Config-O-Matic. That will set the aircraft.cfg file with the engine offset to balance some of the pull to the left as it was in the original release. Changing the throttle has about half the effect on trim that other SEL MS AC have. Those who had prop sliders to the left got a pull to the right with the original aircraft.cfg file since I had modeled the flight dynamics for 50% or higher 'Prop Sliders'. Also, just having the pilot in the AC will unbalance it to the left. Take along a buddy or fill the right tank more than the left to reduce the amount of rudder trim needed. There is no aileron trim, but the rudder trim can keep the AC flying straight with out enough slip to be a problem.Ron

Guest Twister

Hello Kathy,I agree with you 100% about the " flight model feel". You explained that in a very articulate and interesting manner.I'd like to know if the Archer is "right on the numbers" - does it stall (straight and level)at the right speed (clean and dirty configurations)? Are Vx and Vy properly modelled (adequate and realistic gain of altitude over time and over distance)?Is the fuel consumption realistic, etc, etc...Just being curious...Take careTwister

Hey Twister.Although I have done a short stall series (I do that with any aircraft), I have not done a flight test against the published numbers. The numbers and graphs are in the documentation - perhaps you could run these as an exercise and discover them yourself. You seem to have the quest for the knowledge and I assume you have the skill set to do the tests. It could be fun.